Little Hereford Herefordshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851


Hereford (Little), with Upton, a parish in Wolphy hund., union of Tenbury, county of Hereford; 7 miles north-north-east of Leominster, on the river Teme, and intersected by the post-road from Ludlow to Tenbury. Living, a discharged vicarage with the rectory of Ashford-Carbonell, a peculiar, exempt from visitation, rated at £6 14s.; gross income £231. Continue reading “Little Hereford Herefordshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851”

Little Hereford Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863


Little Hereford is a parish and railway station, comprising the township of Upton, 3 miles north-east from Tenbury (its post, poor-law union, and market town), 8 from Leominster (its petty sessions town), 6½ from Ludlow, and 21 from Hereford, in Leominster division, Wolphy hundred, Tenbury union, Little Hereford deanery, and Salop archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike rond to Tenbury, and near the river Teme. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a curious old rubble stone building in the Mixed style, and was restored about 1840, at a considerable expense, by the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P.; it has a belfry with 3 bells, centre aisle, harmonium, chancel, font, register commencing about 1714, sedilia, piscina, two old curious brasses, and several ancient and modern monuments, one of which is to the memory of the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P. ; there is also a window beautifully ornamented with stained glass, which was got up by subscription as a memorial to the latter gentleman. Continue reading “Little Hereford Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863”