Little Hereford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places included in the parish: Dirty Middleton, Upton
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1725
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1667
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEREFORD (Little), a village and a parish in the district of Tenbury, and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Teme, adjacent to the Leominster canal and the Tenbury railway, near the boundary with Worcestershire and Salop, 3 miles W by N of Tenbury; and has a post office under Tenbury. The parish contains also the hamlet of Dirty Middleton, and the township of Upton. Acres, 3,550. Real property, £4,882; of which £12 are in the canal. Pop., 458. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir Joseph Bailey. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Ashford-Carbonell, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, of various dates; was well restored in 1852; and contains a piscina, sedilia, two ancient brasses, and several monuments. There are some charity cottages.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hereford (Little), with Upton, a parish in Wolphy hund., union of Tenbury, county of Hereford; 7 miles north-north-east of Leominster, on the river Teme, and intersected by the post-road from Ludlow to Tenbury. Living, a discharged vicarage with the rectory of Ashford-Carbonell, a peculiar, exempt from visitation, rated at £6 14s.; gross income £231.
Patron, the Chancellor of Hereford. Here are 2 daily schools. Ten cottages were erected lor the accommodation of paupers, on land received in exchange for the Poor’s Acre. Poor rates, in 1838, £194 19s. Hops are cultivated in this parish to the extent of 48 acres. Acres 3,840. Houses 86. A. P. £4,495. Pop., in 1801, 417; in 1831, 477.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Little Hereford Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
Little Hereford is a parish and railway station, comprising the township of Upton, 3 miles north-east from Tenbury (its post, poor-law union, and market town), 8 from Leominster (its petty sessions town), 6½ from Ludlow, and 21 from Hereford, in Leominster division, Wolphy hundred, Tenbury union, Little Hereford deanery, and Salop archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike rond to Tenbury, and near the river Teme. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a curious old rubble stone building in the Mixed style, and was restored about 1840, at a considerable expense, by the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P.; it has a belfry with 3 bells, centre aisle, harmonium, chancel, font, register commencing about 1714, sedilia, piscina, two old curious brasses, and several ancient and modern monuments, one of which is to the memory of the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P. ; there is also a window beautifully ornamented with stained glass, which was got up by subscription as a memorial to the latter gentleman.
The living Is a vicarage, united with that of Ashford Carbonel; joint annual value £230, with residence and 18 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester: the Rev. William Tomkins, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, is the incumbent, and the Rev. J. W. L. Burke is the curate. There is a school for boys and girls, with a residence for the master and mistress, which is supported by Mrs. Bailey; also a Sunday school held at the school-room. Easton Court, a modern stone building, is the seat and residence of Mrs. Bailey. The population in 1861 was 458; the acreage of the parish is about 3,555. The soil is clayey and gravelly; the subsoil is stone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hops and turnips.
Dirty Middleton is a hamlet, about 1 mile from the church.
Upton township is situated about 1 mile from the church.
Bailey Mrs. Easton court
Burke Rev. J. W. L. [curate]
Edwards Edmund, esq
Tomkins Rev. William, M.A
Wheeler William, esq
Butcher John, farmer
Davies Edmund, farmer
Froggatt Charles, farmer
Froggatt Henry, farmer, Bryhampton
Lucas George, farmer
Newman John, farmer
Nichols Samuel, farmer, Furlongs
Palmer William, wheelwright
Phesey William, farmer
Potts James, farmer, Cliffs
Rawlings Mrs. farmer
Shepherd Francis, blacksmith
Symonds William, grocer & postmaster
Wall George, shoemaker
Wall William, tailor
Wilson Richard, farmer, Easton farm
Arnett James, farmer
Arnett John, farmer
Bayllss Thomas, farmer
Davies Richard, farmer
Froggatt Thomas, farmer
Giles John, farmer
Jones John, farmer
Smith John S. esq
Lane Willinm, farmer
Lee William, miller, Upton mill
Powell James, farmer, Lynch
Post Office. — William Symonds, postmaster. Letters arrive from Tenbury at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tenbury.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Herefordshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Tenbury
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Tenbury