Linton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Broomsash, Brooms Ash.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Linton near Ross
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Particular Baptist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINTON, a village and a parish in the district of Newent, and county of Hereford. The village stands on the boundary line between the country of Hereford and Gloucester, 4½ mile ENE of Ross r. station; and has a post office under Ross. The parish comprises 2,775 acres. Real property, £5,081, of which £100 are in quarries. Pop., 915. Houses, 211. The manor belongs to John Wright, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £555. Patron, St. John’s College, Oxford. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel and a slightly endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Colwell William, Broomsash, Herefordshire. timber merchant, March 31, 1837.
White Joseph, Eecleswall court, Linton, Herefordshire, miller, Nov. 5, 1830.
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Newent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Archenfield
Poor Law Union: Ross