Lingen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1751
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Lingen
- Brampton Bryan
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINGEN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on a branch of the river Lug, 4 miles NE of Presteigne, and 4½ S of Bucknell r. station. Post town, Presteigne, Radnorshire. Acres, 2,283. Real property, with Willey, £3,589. Pop., 287. Houses, 63. The manor belongs to John Edwards, Esq. Remains of an old castle are near the village. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £70. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is plain, and has a belfry. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Lingen, 4 m. N.E. Presteign. P. 285.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Lingen, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. N.E.) from Presteigne, containing 284 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Wynn. The church is dedicated to St. Michael.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831Village street at Lingen Lingen is largely a single street village. Here looking northwards from the bridge over the Lime Brook. The copyright on this image is owned by Trevor Rickard and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Presteigne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Kington
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury