LAYSTERS, or LEYSTERS, a parish, with a village, in Leominster district, Herefordshire; adjacent to Worcestershire, 4½ miles SSW of Tenbury r. station, and 5 NE of Leominster. Post town, Tenbury. Acres, 1,989. Real property, £2,204. Pop. in 1851, 210; in 1861, 283. Houses, 51. The increase of pop. arose partly from the opening of a brick yard. The property is divided among a few. A moated seat of the priors of Sheen was here. A tumulus is near the church. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £335. Patron, Mrs. Prescott. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was restored about 1841. There are a parochial school and charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].