Leintwardine Herefordshire Family History


Last updated on December 18th, 2017

Leintwardine is an Ancient Parish partly in Herefordshire and partly in Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Adforton, Brakes, Grange, Heath with Jay, Kinton, Leintwardine, Letton, Marlow, Newton, Payton, Walford, and Whitton with Trippleton.

Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1547

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Leintwardine Herefordshire

Parishes adjacent to Leintwardine

Historical Descriptions

Leintwardine

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Leintwardine, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, comprising the townships of Adforton, Brakes, Grange, Heath with Jay, Kinton, Leintwardine, Letton, Marlow, Newton, Payton, Walford, and Whitton with Trippleton, and containing 1277 inhabitants, of which number, 346 are in the township of Leintwardine, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Ludlow. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the kings books at £7. 15. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. D. Winslow. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a large structure, once famous for a profusion of stained glass, of which the windows still display some beautiful fragments, representing crowns, lions, fleurs de lis, the arms of Mortimer, &c. Leintwardine is situated near the confluence of the Teme and the Clun, and from the quantity of fine fish, particularly graylings, with which these rivers abound, is much resorted to as a fishing-place. There are quarries of limestone in the parish : a fair is held on the 4th of April. The Rt. Hon. Robert Harley, afterwards Earl of Oxford and Mortimer, founded, in the reign of Anne, a free school, and endowed it with land now producing an annual income of about £45. The ancient forest of Mocktree, which has been long disafforested, is in this parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Adforton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Adforton, a township, with Stanway, Paytoe [sic], and Grange, in the parish of Leintwardine, Hereford; 2 miles NW of Wigmore. Pop., 250. Houses, 57.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Adforton, in Lentwardine parish. P. 288.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Adforton, with Stanway, Payton, and Grange, a township, in the parish of Leintwardine, union of Knighton, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 8 ½ miles (W. S. W.) from Ludlow; containing 288 inhabitants, and comprising 1565 acres. The surface is boldly undulated, and the southern portion well wooded. On an eminence at the northern extremity are the remains of a Roman encampment called Brandon camp; and the road from Leintwardine to Wigmore passes through the village of Adforton. A school is endowed with £4 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Adforton, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, union of Knighton, Herefordshire; 8½ miles west-south-west from Ludlow, and 2 north-west of Wigmore. In 1801, it contained, including the hamlets of Payton and Grange, a pop. of 214; in 1831, 218. Houses 47. Poor rates, in 1837, £123.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Brakes

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Brakes, included in Lentwardine parish.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Brakes, a township, in the parish of Leintwardine, union of Ludlow, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford; containing 156 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Brakes, co. Hereford.
P. T. Ludlow (142) 9 m. W b S. Pop. 125.
A township in the parish of Leintwarden and hundred of Wigmore.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Heath and Jay

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Heath and Jay, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hund, of Wigmore, county of Hereford; near the river Chun. Houses 5. Pop., in 1831, 51. Other returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Kinton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

KINTON, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, containing 197 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Payton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Payton, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, containing, with the townships of Adforton and Grange, 212 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Whitton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Whitton, a joint township with Trippleton, in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, containing, with Trippleton, 79 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

County: Herefordshire
Civil Registration District: Ludlow; Knighton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Ludlow
Hundred: Wigmore
Province: Canterbury

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Photographs of Leintwardine

Leintwardine church
Leintwardine church
Leintwardine church
Leintwardine church
Image of the interior of Leintwardine church.
Image of the interior of Leintwardine church.
The choir Leintwardine church
The choir Leintwardine church
“Seedley House” Leintwardine
“Wheatstone” L’dine
“Whitton” Leintwardine
“The Plough” Leintwardine
'Leintwardine' from Church Hill
‘Leintwardine’ from Church Hill
Congregational chapel Leintwardine
Congregational chapel Leintwardine
High St. Leintwardine
High St. Leintwardine
High Street Leintwardine - bottom of High St
High Street Leintwardine – bottom of High St
Leintwardine
Leintwardine “ancient and modern”
Leintwardine
Leintwardine
Leintwardine bridge
Leintwardine bridge
Leintwardine from
Leintwardine from “The Green”
Leintwardine from Brockley Meadow
Leintwardine from Brockley Meadow
Leintwardine High St
Leintwardine High St
Leintwardine House
Leintwardine House
Leintwardine post office and veterinary surgery
Leintwardine post office and veterinary surgery
Leintwardine school
Leintwardine school
Leintwardine vicarage
Leintwardine vicarage
Leintwardine, bridge and Lion Hotel
Leintwardine, bridge and Lion Hotel
Rosemary Lane Leintwardine
Rosemary Lane Leintwardine
Stormer Hall Leintwardine
Stormer Hall Leintwardine
Watling St Leintwardine
Watling St Leintwardine
Watling St. Leintwardine
Watling St. Leintwardine
Watling St. Leintwardine
Watling St. Leintwardine