Leinthall Starkes is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1783 from a chapelry in Aymestrey Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin: 1740
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Leinthall Starkes
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Leinthall-Starkes, a parish, with a village, in the district of Ludlow and county of Hereford; 5 miles WNW of Woofferton-Junction r. station, and 6 SW by W of Ludlow. Post town, Wigmore, under Kingsland, Herefordshire. Acres, 990. Real property, with Leinthall-Earls, and Elton, £3,791. Rated property of Leinthall-Starkes. alone, £1,017. Pop., 144. Houses, 29. The property is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £53. Patron, A. R. B. Knight, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a belfry. There are an endowed school, with £14 a year, and other charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Leinthall-Starkes, 5 miles S.W. Ludlow. P. 147.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LEINTHALL-STARKES (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from the town of Ludlow; containing 147 inhabitants. The parish consists of 993 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patron, Sir W. R. Boughton, Bart.; appropriator, the Bishop of Hereford. A school is endowed with £14 per annum, the bequest of Thomas Allen, Esq., in 1704.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Leinthall-Starkes, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Ludlow, containing 131 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Family History Links
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury