Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1585
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KNILL, a parish. in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on the river Lug, at the boundary with Wales, and on Offa’s dyke, 3½ miles SW by S of Presteigne, and 4 NNW of Kington r. station. Post town, Kington. Acres, 798. Real property, £789 Pop., 84. Houses, 19. The manor, with Knill Court, belongs to Sir J. J. Walsham, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £90. Patron, Sir J. J. Walsham, Bart. The church stands in the beautiful grounds of Knill Court; is ancient, and ivy clad; and has a tower, with a wooden spire. Sir Samuel Romilly was buried here.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KNILL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Presteign, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 2¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Kington; containing 75 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Wales, and comprises by measurement 777 acres, of which 310 are pasture, 130 arable, 177 hill, and 160 woodland. It is intersected by the road from Radnor to Presteign, and bounded on the south by Offa’s dyke, and on the east by the Endwell brook, which joins the river Lug. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4. 10.; net income, £70; patron, Sir J. J. Garbet Walsham, Bart.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Knill Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Knill is a township and parish, 23 miles north-west from Hereford, 4 from Kington, and 3 ½ from Presteign, in Wigmore Hundred, Presteign Union, Hereford archdeaconry and Hereford bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Radnorshire. The church of St. Michael is an old stone building; has nave, chancel, and tower with wooden spire, and is the burial-place of Sir Samuel Romilly. The living is a rectory, worth about £75 yearly, with 10 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir John Walsham, Bart.; the Rev. John Jenkins, M.A., is the incumbent. The neighbourhood is very picturesque. Knill Court is a handsome mansion, in the Elizabethan style. The population, in 1851, was 78, and the acreage is 798. Sir John Walsham, Bart., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Woodside is a farm.
Letters through Kington, which is the nearest money order office.
Edwards Evan, wheelwright
Harper Mrs. Ann, farmer and time burner, Woodside
Hamar Henry, farmer
Lewis William, boot and shoe maker
Walsham Sir John, Bart, Knill court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Presteigne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Kington