Status: Ancient Parish
Other places included in the parish: Aston, Lawton, Longford Street, Street Longford, West Town
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1548
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSLAND, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Leominster district, Hereford. The village stands in a fertile valley between the rivers Lug, Arrow, and Pinsley, near the line of a Roman road, and near the Leominster and Kington railway, 4 miles WNW of Leominster; is said to have had a castle, where King Merwald was buried; was once a market town; is well built, and of considerable extent; and has a station on the railway, a head post office, designated Kingsland, Herefordshire, and a fair on 11 Oct. The parish includes the townships of Aston, Lawton, Street, Longford, and West Town. Acres, 4,735. Real property, £8,528. Pop., 1,150. Houses, 263. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Mortimers, and belongs now to the Rev. R. D. Evans. The battle of Mortimer's cross, in 1461, was fought on Kingsland-field, 2¼ miles NW of the village; and is commemorated by a monumental stone, erected there in 1799. The township of Street and the ancient mansion of Street-Court take name from the Roman road. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £800. Patron, the Rev. R. D. Evans. The church is ancient but good; has an embattled tower; and contains a piscina, sedilia, and several monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a school with £5 from endowment. The subdistrict contains also seven other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 26,892. Pop., 4,855. Houses, 1,045.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KINGSLAND (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Leominster; containing 1088 inhabitants. Tradition relates that near the parsonage-house is the site of an ancient castle, the burial-place of King Merwald. During the reign of Edward I., the widow of Edward, Lord Mortimer, obtained a grant for a market and a fair, the former of which has been long discontinued, but the latter is still held on Oct. 11th, for horses, cattle, hops, cheese, &c. In West Field is a pedestal, erected in 1799 by the neighbouring gentry, commemorative of the celebrated battle of Mortimer's Cross, fought in 1461, in which the Earl of Pembroke was defeated by the Duke of York, afterwards Edward IV., with the loss of about 4000 men; the earl escaped, but his father, Sir Owen Tudor, was taken prisoner and immediately beheaded. Kingsland constituted part of the dower of Catherine, queen of Charles II. The parish comprises 4581 acres by measurement, and is intersected by the rivers Lug, Pinsley, and Arrow, and the roads from Leominster to Presteign and Kington. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £31. 3. 6½., and in the gift of the Rev. Richard Davies Evans, the present rector: the tithes have been commuted for £785 payable to the rector, and £55 payable to the grammar school of Eardisland: the glebe comprises 66 acres of excellent land. The church is a handsome and massive edifice, built in the reign of Edward I., by Lord Mortimer; it is in the early English style, and has a curious chamber, called
Volka's Chamber, which, according to tradition, was erected by the builder for his own interment. A school endowed with £10 per annum, by Thomas Woodhouse, is conducted on the national plan: a school-house has lately been built.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Matthews William, Kingsland, grocer and cheesemonger, Oct. 5, 1838.
Ree John, Aston, Kingsland. Herefordshire, dealer & chapman, Dec. 30. 1828.
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster