Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Killpeck
Parish church: St. David
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KILLPECK, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on a branch of the river Monnow, and on the Hereford and Abergavenny railway, near St. Devereux r. station, 8 miles SW by S of Hereford. Post town, Wormbridge, under Hereford. Acres, 2,135. Real property, £1,868. Pop., 267. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to T. G. Symonds, Esq. A castle was founded on an eminence here, about 1134, by Hugh Fitzwilliam, son of the Conqueror and ancestor of the Kilpecs; and is now represented by only scanty remains. A small Benedictine priory, a cell to Gloucester abbey, was founded about the same time, by the same person; and the church of it still stands, was restored in 1848, and is a remarkably pure and interesting specimen of Norman architecture. The doorway is decorated with zigzag, nailhead, and star mouldings; the corbel table goes all round the building, and has upwards of 74 sculptures of heads, men, and beasts; much of the wall is covered with elaborate ornaments; and the chancel has the form of an apex. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £10. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KILLPECK (St. David), a parish, in the union of Dore, Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford, 8¼ miles (S. W.) from Hereford; containing 238 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Worm, and comprises 1976 acres, of which 1136 are arable, 700 meadow, and 140 wood. It abounds with romantic and richly-varied scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 8.; net income, £50; patrons, the Clive family; appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a very ancient structure, in the Norman style, of which it displays some interesting details in its various periods, from its massive simplicity to its more enriched and elegant transitions into the early English style. To the west of the church are some slight remains of a castle, and on the south are vestiges of a priory, situated in a pleasant vale.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Church Records - Indexes
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Dore
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury