Kentchurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1686
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KENTCHURCH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Monnow, at the boundary with Monmouth, 2 miles SE of Pentrilas r. station, and 12 SW by W of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford. The parish comprises 3,286 acres. Real property, £2,179. Pop., 325. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Kentchurch Court, has belonged, for several centuries to the Scudamore family. The Court is a castellated mansion, said to have been built by Henry IV.; and stands in an extensive park, on the W slope of Garway hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £246. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; was recently restored; has a tower; and contains a splendid marble monument, with eleven finely wrought figures, to members of the Scudamore family. An endowed school has £16; and other charities £4. The sub-district contains also eight other parishes in Hereford, and two in Monmouth. Acres, 26, 723. Pop., 3, 567. Houses, 731.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KENT-CHURCH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 13 miles (S. W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 295 inhabitants. The Abergavenny and Grosmont railway intersects the north-west angle of this parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Dore, and on the south by the Munnow; the surface comprises 3246 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 3½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £348. 1., and the glebe consists of 4 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Kentchurch but who were married in another parish.
William Morse, of Kentchurch, Herefordshire, & Elizabeth Smith ... 31 Oct. 1780 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Dore
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury