Kenderchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1750 from chapelry in Kentchurch, Herefordshire Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Howton, Kender Church
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1757
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KENDERCHURCH, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the river Dore and the Hereford and Abergavenny railway, 1 mile NNE of Pontrilas r. station, and 2 SE of Abbeydore. Post town, Pontrilas, under Hereford. Acres, 783. Real property, £990. Pop., 99. Houses, 16. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £58. Patron, the Earl of Oxford. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and stands on an eminence.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KENDER-CHURCH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 11 miles (S. W.) from Hereford; containing 102 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Hereford to Abergavenny, and also by a tramway which runs parallel with the road; and comprises by computation 800 acres, of which 427 are meadow and pasture, 345 arable, and 10 woodland. It is bounded on the north by the river Worm. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king’s books at £2. 5. 2½.; net income, £58; patron, the Earl of Oxford: the tithes were sold to the landowners about the commencement of the present century. The church is beautifully situated on an eminence, and commands extensive views of picturesque scenery.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Kenderchurch Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Kenderchurch, or Howton, is a small parish, and village, one mile north-west from Pontrilas railway station, 11 south-west from Hereford, 3 south-east from Abbey Dore Union, in Webtree Hundred, Abbey Dore Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated on the rive Dore, and Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building, in very plain style; has recently been repaired; has nave, chancel, porch, small belfry and one bell, and font. The living is attached to Wormbridge vicarage. The population, in 1851, was 91; and the acreage is 783. Col. Scudamore is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Letters through Hereford, which is also the nearest money order office.
Cook John, farmer, Howton farm
Davis Rev. E. L., rector, Wormbridge pl
Davis William, tailor
Jones Thomas, farmer, Howton grove
Preece Edward, parish clerk
Price Mrs. Mary, farmer, Howton
Pugh John, beer retailer
Sanders James, farmer, Howton court
Smith Edwin, butcher
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Dore
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury