Herefordshire is bounded, North by Shropshire; East and North-East by Worcestershire; South-East by Gloucestershire; South-West by Monmouthshire; West by Brecknockshire; and North-West by Radnorshire. It is about 38 miles long, and about 35 broad; and has 11 Hundreds — Broxasb, Ewyas-Lacy, Greytree, Grimsworth, Huntington, Radlow, Stretford, Weltree, Wigmore, Wolphy, Wormelow. Rivers: the Wye, the Munnow, the Lug, the Leddon, the Team, the Arrows, and the Frome. It has 7 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, partly in the Diocese of Hereford, and a small part in the Diocese of Worcester; and it is in the Oxford Circuit. Area 860 square miles, or 550,400 acres. Population, 113,878.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.