Humber is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Risbury.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1719
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HUMBER, a parish in Leominster district, Hereford; on the river Lug, near the Leominster and Bromyard railway, 3¼ miles SE of Leominster. It includes the hamlet of Risbury; and its post town is Leominster. Acres, 1,494. Real property, £1,624. Pop., 251. Houses, 58. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. D. Burrs, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £170. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a tower, and is good. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Humber Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Humber is a township, 3 miles east-south-east from Leominster station, 13 from Hereford, and 160 from London, in Wolphy Hundred, Leominster Union, electoral and petty sessional division, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated on the Worcester and Bromyard turnpike road. The church of St. Mary is a neat stone building; has tower, nave, porch, chancel, and organ. The living is a rectory, worth £80 yearly, with residence and 132 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There is a Free School. The population, in 1851, was 61, and the acreage of the parish is 1,362. The soil is clayey. Higford David Burrs, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Priddleton House is the residence of Mr. Henry Bayley.
The township of Risbury is partly within this parish, in which it has 203 inhabitants. Here is a good corn mill. Risbury Camp comprises an area of 8 acres, now annexed to the farm of Mr. W. Lambert. It is one of the line of British encampments which began at Malvern hills.
Letters through Leominster, which is the nearest money order office.
Bayley Henry, farmer, Priddleton house
Gatehouse William, farmer
Goodrich Rev. O. P.
Lambert John, plumber, Gate house
Mason Thomas, farmer
Phillips James, parish clerk
Froysell Thomas, miller and farmer, Risbury mill
Jenkins John, shoemaker
Lambert William, farmer, Risbury court
Lippitt Sarah, farmer
Maund James, shoemaker
Morgan George, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster