How Caple is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St Andrew and St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOW-CAPLE, a village and a parish in Ross district, Hereford. The village stands near the river Wye, 2¾ miles ENE of Fawley r. station, and 4½ NNE of Ross; and has a post office under Ross. The parish comprises 1,018 acres. Real property, £1,918. Pop., 161. Houses, 29. The manor belongs to Mrs. Coleman and Mrs. Holt. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Sollers-Hope, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £344. Patron, Mrs. S. Stackhouse. The church has a pinnacled tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HOW-CAPLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Ross; containing 140 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the navigable river Wye, and intersected by the road from Ross to Hereford, comprises 1016a. 28p., whereof 726 acres are arable, 166 pasture, 73 woodland, and 38 water and waste. The soil is light, and rather sandy; good wheat, barley, and turnips are produced, and a considerable quantity of cider is made. There are some quarries of stone fit for the roads. The living is a rectory, with that of Sollers-Hope united, valued in the king's books at £9; net income, £344; patron, E. W. W. Pendarves, Esq. The tithes of How-Caple have been commuted for £188, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church, situated on an eminence overlooking the Wye, is a plain substantial structure in the later English style, with a tower crowned by pinnacles; the chancel is of earlier date: there are several monuments to the Gregory family.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
How Caple Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
How Caple, a parish, the houses of which are scattered, adjoins the parishes of Foy and Brockhampton, and is situated on a gentle slope, overlooking the river Wye, and is in the hundred of Wormelow, and Ross Union and deanery, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, and distant 5 miles north-west from Ross, and 9 south-east from Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a handsome stone structure, and consists of a nave, chancel, and massive square tower, it also has a transept on the south side, and on the north side is an ancient porch, on which are the initials of the late Sir William Gregory, dated 1693, who was formerly lord of the manor of this parish. The benefice is a rectory, annexed to Sollars Hope, valued at £344 yearly, with residence, and is in the patronage of Mrs. Stackhouse. Mrs. Coleman and Mrs. Holt are ladies of the manor, and chief landed proprietors. The annual charities connected with this parish are small. The population of How Caple, in 1851, was 153.
Post Office – William Halford, receiver. Letters arrive from Ross at 10 a.m.; and are despatched thereto at ½ past 3 p.m., per messenger. The nearest money order office is Ross.
Baker Rev. John Norgrave, M.A., Rectory
Beaston Ferdinand, farmer, Garway
Clissold Richard, shoemaker
Halford William, farm bailiff to Mr. Beaston
Harris James, blacksmith
Howden Alexander, farmer, Caple court
Nash Richard, carpenter
Prosser Margaret, miller, Caple mill
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ross
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Greytree
- Province: Canterbury