Holmer, Herefordshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Holmer with Huntington

Other places in the parish: Holmer and Shelwick, Shelwick

Parish church: St. Bartholomew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1712
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

Holmer

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HOLMER, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 2 miles N of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford.-The township includes Shelwick hamlet, and bears the name of Holmer and Shelwick. Real property, £7,504. Pop. in 1851, 618; in 1861, 1,083. Houses, 213. The parish contains also the township of Huntington; and comprises 3,069 acres. Real property, £8,778. Pop. in 1851, 747; in 1861, 1,237. Houses, 242. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the operations of a Freehold Land society. The property of Holmer and Shelwick township is much subdivided; and that of Huntington is divided among three. Holmer Lodge, Westfield House, and Copelands are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Huntington, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The parochial church is ancient; comprises merely nave and chancel, with a tower; and looks to be early English, but wants distinctive features. The tower was recently in need of repair. The church of Huntington is modern and neat. Charities £11.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Holmer and Skelwick, a parish in Grimsworth hund., union and county of Hereford; 1½ mile north of Hereford. It includes the chapelry of Huntington, Living, a discharged vicarage with the curacy of Huntington, and a peculiar of the dean of Hereford; rated at £6 10s. 8d.; gross income £220. Patrons, tbe dean and chapter of Hereford. Here are 2 daily schools. Charities, in 1837, about £18 4s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £337 8s. In 1833, hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 40½ acres. Acres 3,110. Houses 127. A. P. £5.926. Pop., in 1801, 368; in 1831, 556.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Shelwick

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHELWICK, a township in Holmer parish, Herefordshire; on the river Lug, 2 miles N of Hereford.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Church Records

Bishop's transcripts for Holmer, 1638, 1660-1864

Bishop's transcripts for Huntington, near Hereford, 1718-1857

Parish registers for Holmer, 1712-1980

Parish registers for Huntington, near Hereford, 1930-1952

Church Records - Indexes

Computer printout of Holmer, Herefs., Eng

Cemeteries

Herefordshire, Holmer [monumental inscriptions]

Census

Census returns for Holmer, 1841-1891

Taxation

Land tax assessments for the parish of Holmer, 1781-1830

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Herefordshire
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Hereford
Poor Law Union: Hereford
Hundred: Grimsworth
Province: Canterbury