Hentland Herefordshire Family History Guide

Hentland is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1849 from a chapelry in Lugwardine Ancient Parish and Little Dewchurch chapelry.

Other places in the parish include: Tressick, Treadow, Treaddow, Little Dewchurch, Kynastone, Hoarwithy, and Altbach.

Alternative names: Hentland with Hoarwithy

Parish church: St. Dubricius

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Separate registers exist for Little Dewchurch

  • Parish registers:  1730
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hentland

Historical Descriptions

Hentland

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Hentland, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on the river Wye, 3½ miles WSW of Fawley r. station, and 4 NW of Ross. It contains the village of Hoarwithy, and the hamlets of Altbach, Kynastone, Treaddow, and Tressick. Post town, Ross. Acres, 2, 905. Real property, £5, 500. Pop., 647. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. Kynastone House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Hoarwithy, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £310. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is late decorated English, with an embattled tower; and is in a decent state of repair. There are a chapel of ease at Hoarwithy, and a Wesleyan chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hentland, a parish in the lower division of Wormelow hund., union of Ross, county of Hereford; 4 miles west-north-west of Ross, west of the river Wye. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Lugwardine. Here are 2 small daily schools. Charities, in 1837, £1 5s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £308 6s. Acres 2,550. Houses 121. A. P. £4,187. Pop., in 1801, 443; in 1831, 618.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Hentland, 4m. N.W. Ross. P.612

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Little Dewchurch

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Dewchurch (Little), a parish in the hund. of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford; 5½ miles south by east of Hereford, west of the river Wye, and near one of its branches. Living, a curacy, not in charge, subordinate to the vicarage of Lugwardine. Acres 1,640. Houses 60. A. P. £1,662. Pop , in 1801. 299; in 1831, 573. Poor rates, in 1837, £84.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Little Dewchurch (St. David), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Hereford; containing 330 inhabitants. The road from Hereford to Ross crosses the parish, which consists of 1652 acres of a highly rich and productive soil. The living is annexed with those of Hentland, Llangarran, and St. Weonard's, to the vicarage of Lugwardine: the tithes have been commuted for £286, of which the Dean and Chapter of Hereford are entitled to £117, the vicar to £90, the rector of Lanwarne to £24, and another impropriator to £55.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census and Migration & Naturalization records – Free

Church Records

Bishop's transcripts for Hentland, 1661-1836

Parish registers for Hentland, 1558-1894

Cemeteries

St. Dubricius, Hentland [monumental inscriptions]

Census

Census returns for Hentland, 1841-1891

Taxation

Land tax assessments for the parish of Hentland, 1776-1831

Directories

Little Dewchurch Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Dewchurch, (Little), is a parish and straggling village, in Wormelow Hundred, Hereford Union, archdeaconry and bishopric, and deanery of Irchenfield, distant 2 miles south-west from Holme Lacy station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester line of railway, 6 south-south-east from Hereford, and 7 ½ north-north-west from Ross being situate on the high road leading from Hereford to Ross, by Hoarwithy. The church, a neat stone building, consists of a nave and chancel, with a square castellated tower having three bells. This edifice is small, affording accommodation for about 60 persons.

The living, a perpetual curacy, without residence, is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, united with the adjoining parish of Hartland; the Rev. William Poole, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Samuel Sheene, M.A., is the curate. Here is a Dame school for boys and girls. The acreage of this township is 1,663, and the population 276; and the rateable value £1,704. The soil is clay and loam, the subsoil soft rock. Sir Hungerford Hoskyns of Harewood House, is lord of the manor; and the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, and Richard Garrold, Esq., of Brampton Abbotts, are the chief landed proprietors. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, on the site of which cottages have been built.

Letters through Hoarwithy. The nearest money order office is Hereford.

Miscellaneous
Andrews George, tailor
Clayfield Thomas, shopkeeper, the Friars
James Benjamin, miller, Prethethar mill
Jeffreys John, Blacksmith
Jones John, shoemaker
Miles Jacob, shoemaker
Moxley J., shoemaker
Oliver Mr., Lower Coombe
Powell William, mason
Preece Philip, beer retailer, Alt Bough
Thomas Thomas, Plough Inn

Farmers
Bennett John, Alt Bough
Cooper Jacob, Catson
Davies George, Mount Boon
Davies Richard, Prethethar
Garrold Thomas Dew, Morastone
Hartland Sarah, Broadway lands
Hartland Thomas, Upper Witherstone
Hodges John, Dewchurch court
Imms William, Knapp green
Powell Thomas, Sunny bank
Seal Thomas
Webb Edward Jones, Altwent

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ross
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Archenfield
  • Poor Law Union: Ross
  • Hundred: Wormelow
  • Province: Canterbury