Hampton Bishop is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Tuplsey with the Vineyard, Tupsley, Hampton Park, Eign Hill, Aylestone Hill, The Vineyard (extra parochial)
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1670
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Nonconformists: Roman Catholic
- Hereford All Saints
- Hereford the Vineyard
- Upper and Lower Bullinghope
- Holme Lacy
- Hereford St Owen
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Hampton Bishop, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands between the rivers Wye and Lugg, 2 ½ miles SSW of Withington r. station, and 4 SE by E of Hereford; and has a post-office under Hereford. The parish includes also the township of Tupsley, and comprises 2,845 acres. Real property, £7,967. Pop. in 1851, 913; in 1861, 1,047. Houses, 203. The property is much subdivided. Some of the inhabitants are employed in making baskets and sieves. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £413. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and contains monuments to Col. Weare. The township of Tupsley was recently constructed a separate charge, with a new church. Charities, £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Hampton-Bishop, 5 m. S.E. Hereford. P. 785
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
Rural Deanery: Hereford
Poor Law Union: Hereford