Grendon Bishop is an Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1739 from a former chapelry in Bromyard Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Other Places in the Parish include:
- Westington Court
- Little Common
- Grendon Green
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists: Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRENDON BISHOP, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; gear the Bromyard and Leominster railway, 4 miles WNW of Bromyard. Post town, Bromyard, under Worcester. Acres, 1,689. Real property, £1,829. Pop., 199. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few. There is an ancient camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £85. Patron, the Vicar of Bromyard. The church was rebuilt in 1788, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GRENDON, BISHOP (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 4¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Bromyard; containing 231 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Leominster to Bromyard, and consists of 1588 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £59; patron, the Vicar of Bromyard. Of the tithes a rent-charge of £11 is paid to the deacon of Bishop-Grendon, one of £6. 1. to the senior rector of the church of Bromyard, and another of £10 to the perpetual curate here. The church was rebuilt in 1788, at the expense of six individuals, the old edifice having fallen down in 1786. There are vestiges of an ancient intrenchment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Bromyard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Bromyard
- Hundred: Broxash
- Province: Canterbury