Garway is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Particular Baptist, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GARWAY, a parish in the district of Monmouth and county of Hereford; on the river Monnow, at the boundary with Monmouthshire, 5¼ miles SE of Pontrilas r. station, and 7¼ NNW of Monmouth. It has a post office, of the name of Garway-Common, under Ross. Acres, 3,625. Real property, £3,021. Pop., 585. Houses, 130. The scenery is very fine; and Garway hill is a conspicuous feature. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £81. Patron, Sir J. Bailey. The church is ancient; has a Saracenic chancel arch and a square tower; and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £58.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Garway (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Monmouth, Lower division of the hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford, 7 miles (N. W.) from Monmouth; containing 574 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the left bank of the river Munnow, which separates the county from that of Monmouth; it comprises 3582 acres, whereof 249 are waste land or common. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £81; patron, W. R. Jenkins, Esq.; impropriator, Lord Southwell, whose tithes have been commuted for £230. The church is a small edifice, the nave of which is separated from the chancel by a fine Norman arch, supported by several pillars in the same style: the belfry tower was used as a prison during the great rebellion. Near the church are the foundations of a commandery of the knights of St. John of Jerusalem; and about half a mile north of the church was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, but no remains now exist.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Garway Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Garway is a parish and straggling village, 11 miles west from Ross, 5 south-east from Pontrilas railway station, 7 north-west from Monmouth, and 12 south from Hereford, in Wormelow Hundred, Monmouth Union, Harewood’s End petty sessional division, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, situated on the Ross and Abergavenny road. The church is an old stone building, with square tower, in the Norman style. It is in very good repair; has a nave, chancel, porch, font, and five bells. The living is a rectory, with about 11 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir J. Bailey, Bart.; the Rev. Henry Prosser, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists at the Turnings. There is a small National school for boys and girls, and also a small school for Baptists. Garway Court is the seat of Paul Prosser, Esq. The population, in 1851 was 590, and the acreage is 3,625. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is chiefly rock. Lord Southwell is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Garway Common is half a mile distant east.
Broad Oak is a hamlet, 2 miles south-east.
Letters through Ross, which is the nearest money order office.
Baldwin Timothy, carpenter and wheelwright, Garway common
Bellingham George, tailor, the Turnings
Clarke Richard, carpenter
Goods Thomas, blacksmith, Garway common
Gwatkin Paul, cooper, Garway common
Howe George, shopkeeper, Broad Oak
Jones Charles, wheelwright, Broad Oak
Johnson Rev. Benjamin (baptist)
Lewis James, miller, Garway mill
Morgan John, machine and agricultural implement maker
Powell Philip, mason and parish clerk
Price John, carpenter and shopkeeper, Broad Oak
Price William, beer retailer and boot and shoe maker
Prosser Rev. Henry
Prosser Paul, Esq., Garway court
Roberts James, blacksmith and shopkeeper Broad Oak
Sanders George, tailor
Sanders Peter, tailor, Garway Common
Sanders William, shopkeeper, Garway com
Vaughan Henry, Oak Inn, Broad Oak
Walters Charles, carpenter
Walters Mrs. Eliza, dressmaker
Walters William, beer retailer and butcher, Garway common
Waters William, tailor, Garway common
Watkins Philip, shopkeeper
Bennett Philip, Yew Tree
Embrey John, Newhouse
Embrey William, Tenorsfield
Hand George, Cwm Maddock
Morgan John, Church farm
Morgan Walter, Little Garway farm
Sanders James, Upper Northgate
Sanders William, Newlands
Vaughan William, Broad Oak
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Monmouth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Archenfield
Poor Law Union: Monmouth