Foy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Eaton Tregoes.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Historical Descriptions of Foy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Foy, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on the river Wye and on the Hereford and Gloucester railway, near Fawley station, 3 miles N by W of Ross. It includes the township of Eaton-Tregoes; and its post-town is Ross. Acres, 2,322. Rated property, £3,716. Pop., 318. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £515. Patron, the Rev. John Jones. The church is good; and there are charities £13.Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Foy (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ross, partly in the hundred of Greytree, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford, 3 3/4 miles (N.) from Ross, on the road between Gloucester and Hereford; containing with the township of Eaton-Tregoes, 278 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the river Wye, which flows with a considerable bend through it, comprises by measurement 2243 acres. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the King's books at £13. 6. 8.; patron and incumbent, Rev. John Jones; the tithes have been commuted for £550, and the glebe contains 52 acres. The church is a neat plain edifice. A school is supported partly by subscription. An almshouse for three persons was founded in 1640.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Foy Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Foy is a parish, distant 2 ½ miles from Fawley station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, 4 north from Ross, and 11 south-east from Hereford, being intersected by the winding course of the river Wye, which renders the scenery very picturesque in this part of the county. This parish, in 1851, contained 268 inhabitants. The soil is red sandstone; and subsoil, gravel; consisting of 2,322 acres, which are applied to the growth of grain chiefly. Here formerly existed a formidable and strongly fortified castle, which was demolished in the time of the feudal wars, and the only vestige now remaining is that of a decaped wall, to point out the place upon which it stood. The church of St. Mary, is a substantial stone building, having been repaired in 1854 at a cost of upwards of £150, raised by subscriptions from the parishioners. This edifice consists of a nave, chancel, and ivy-covered square tower containing a peal of six bells. In the chancel are two very handsome stained-glass windows. The living is a vicarage, valued at £515, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Rev. John Jones, M.A., the present incumbent. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Here is a charily school for boys and girls, supported by subscription. Foy is situated in the Hundred of Wormelow, and Ross Union, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, and deanery of Irchenfield. There are charities of small annual value. Perrystone House, the residence of Colonel Philip York, is pleasantly situated here.
Eaton Tregoes is a township.
Letters are received through Ross, which is also the nearest money order office.
Jones Rev. John, Vicarage
Steele Samuel, parish clerk
Watkins John, blacksmith, Old Gore
Bennett James, Ingestone
Burgham Thomas, Newhouse
Hart Mrs., Cole’s farm
Hooper Richard, Court farm
Jones William, Hill Eaton
Rock Josiah, Carthage
Rudge James, Coppice farm
Stock Charles, Underhill
Suttle William Leonard, Park farm
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Greytree; Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury