Status: Ancient Parish succeeded by Evesbatch Ecclesiastical Parish until abolished in 1923 when it became Evesbatch With Fromes Hill Ecclesiastical Parish.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1700
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
- Acton Beauchamp
- Bishops Frome
- Castle Frome
- Stanford Bishop
- Canon Frome
- Much Cowarne
- Stoke Lacy
- Stretton Grandison
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EVESBATCH, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; on the E verge of the county, 5 miles SSE of Bromyard, and 5½ NW of Colwall r. station. Post town, Bishops-Frome, under Worcester. Acres, 973. Real property, £1,804. Pop., 87. Houses, 13. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £150. Patrons, the Heirs of the Dowager Countess of Berkeley-Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Evesbatch Littleburys Directory 1879
Evesbatch, otherwise Evesbach, is a small parish in Herefordshire, situated about 1 mile N. of the main road between Worcester and Hereford (over Froome’s hill), 5 miles S.S.E. of Bromyard, 8 W.N.W. of Malvern, 8 N. of Ledbury, 14 N.E. of Hereford, and 12 ½ W.S.W. of Worcester; is in Radlow hundred, Bishop’s Froome polling district, Bromyard union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 87; in 1871, 96; inhabited houses, 17; population in 1878, 60; inhabited houses, 14; area of parish, 973 acres; annual rateable vale, £1,219. The Rev. Richard Seddon, the Executors of the late Rev. William Ellis Wall, Mr. Edwin Gibbs, and W. M. Sparrow, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is strong loam, producing hops, wheat, beans, fruit, and roots.
The parish is beautifully situated, commanding fine prospects over a wide range of scenery. Evesbatch is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford, and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory; value, £163, with 10 acres of glebe; patron and rector, Rev. Richard Seddon, B.A., St. John’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1873. Through the exertions of the rector, the church of St. Andrew has been almost entirely rebuilt, under the superintendence of T. Nicholson, Esq., architect, of Hereford, and was reopened May 16th, 1876. The cost of the work amounted to upwards of £750. This little church, scarcely capable of holding sixty worshippers, in its renewed form presents an appearance both externally and internally greatly to be admired. There are two stained-glass windows, by Wailes of Newcastle; one at the west end representing St. Andrew, after whom the church is named, the other on the south side of the chancel representing the Nativity of our Lord. The chancel and nave floors, &c., are laid with encaustic tiles. There is a school for boys and girls used as a Sunday-school, but the children go to Acton and Bishop’s Froome on week-days.
Postal Regulations. – Letters arrive by messenger from Bromyard about 11 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Bromyard is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Bromyard, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Andrew’s). – Rev. Richard Seddon, B.A., Rector; Mr. Reuben Gibbs, Churchwarden.
Seddon Rev. Richard, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Cook James, Rectory house
Gibbs Henry, farmer and hop grower, Wood end farm
Gibbs Reuben, farmer and hop grower, Brook farm
Lewis – , farm bailiff, Evesbatch court
Perigo James, farmer, Ridgway farm
Seddon Rev. Richard, owner, occupier, and hop grower, The Farm and Pool farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Evesbatch Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Evesbatch is a township and parish, 8 miles north-north-east from Ledbury, and 5 ½ south-east from Bromyard, in Radlow Hundred, Bromyard Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church is a plain old building, with square tower. The living is a discharged rectory, value £150 per annum. The Rev. William Henry Bloxsome M.A., of 2, Oxford terrace, Cheltenham, is the rector. The population, in 1851, was 108; acreage, 973.
Woodend, The Pool, The Court, The Farm, The Brook Farm, and the Ridgway, are places here.
Letters though Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Birchley John, farmer, Woodend
Hall Edwin, farmer, the Pool
Johnson Edwin, farmer, Ridgway farm
Parker James, farmer, Court
Phillips William, farmer, the Farm
Roberts James, parish clerk
Waterfall Rev. G. H., curate
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Bromyard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Bromyard
- Hundred: Radlow
- Province: Canterbury