Elton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1766 from chapelry in Wigmore Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1657
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELTON, a parish in the district of Ludlow and county of Hereford; near the boundary with Salop, 3¼ miles NW by W of Woofferton Junction r. station, and 4¾ SW of Ludlow. Post town, Wigmore, under Kingsland, Herefordshire. Acres, 1,470. Real property, with Leinthall-Earls and Leinthall-Starkes, £3,791. Pop., 108. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. Elton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £145. Patron, the Rev. H. Cowdell. The church has a tower, a fine screen, and a noticeable font; and is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ELTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Ludlow; containing 99 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Wigmore to Ludlow, and comprises about 1500 acres, of which the portions of arable and pasture land are nearly equal; the scenery is very fine, and the plantations are largely stocked with oak. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron, E. H. K. Davies, Esq. The church is a small handsome edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury