Eardisley or Eardisley with Bollingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Bollingham.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Eardisley with Bollingham, Erdesley
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Chapel of ease: St Silas Bollingham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1630
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Other Places in the Parish:
- Newmans Place
- Lower Welson
- Upper Welson
- Woods Eaves
- Upper Spond
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EARDISLEY, or Erdesley, a village and a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wye, on the tram road from Hay to Kington, near the railway from Hereford to Brecon, 5 miles S by E of Kington; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Hereford, a fair on 15 May, and a great market on 18 Oct. The parish comprises 4,533 acres; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Real property of the lower div., £4,299; of the upper div., £2,558. Pop. of the whole, 826. Houses, 171. The property is divided among a few. The family of Baskerville was seated here from Domesday till 1640; and they had a strong castle here, some small remains of which still exist. Coke, Bishop of Hereford, ejected at the Commonwealth, resided and died here at his seat of Lower Moor. An oak tree, about ½ a mile from the church, covers a surface of 324 feet in circuit, and has a trunk 30 feet in girth, and 18 feet high. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £255. Patron, W. P. Herrick, Esq., The church consists of nave and north aisle, with low embattled tower; has a curiously-sculptured Norman font; and is good. There are a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Church records - Indexes
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Wooding George, Eardisley, Herefordshire, draper and grocer, May 8, 1829.
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Presteigne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Kington
- Hundred: Huntington
- Province: Canterbury