Docklow is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1745 from chapelry in Leominster Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Docklow Gate and Hampton Wafer.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1584
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Parishes adjacent to Docklow
- Hampton Wafer
- Edvin Ralph
- New Hampton
- Grendon Bishop
- Marston Stannett
Historical Descriptions of Docklow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOCKLOW, a parish in Leominster district, Hereford; on an affluent of the river Wye, 4 miles NE by E of Ford-Bridge r. station, and 5 E by S of Leominster. Post town, Stoke-Prior. Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial tract of Hampton-Wafer, 1,715. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 185. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke-Prior, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Docklow, a parish in the hund. of Wolphy, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 4½ miles east by south of Leominster, near a branch of the Wye. It includes the township of Fencott. Living, a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Stoke Prior. Charities, about £4 10s. per annum. About 130 acres of hops are annually reared here. Acres 1,420. Houses 35. A. P. £1,631. Pop , in 1801, 160; in 1831, 199. Poor rates, in 1837, £89.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Docklow (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Leominster; containing, with the township of Fencott, 215 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Worcester to Leominster, and consists of 1711 acres: there are several quarries of stone of good quality, both for building and for repairing the roads. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Stoke-Prior; the glebe comprises about 60 acres. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Docklow Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Docklow is a parish and village, occupying an elevated and healthy situation, 5 miles east from Leominster railway station, and 15 from Hereford, in Leominster electoral and petty sessional division and Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Worcester and Leominster turnpike road. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient building nearly covered with ivy, and attracts the attention of the traveller; it has spire, nave, porch, chancel, organ, and belfry. The living, held with Stoke Prior, is a perpetual curacy, worth £135 yearly, in the gift of the Vicar of Leominster. The population, in 1851, was 199, and the acreage is 1,711. The soil is clayey; John Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Mr. Arkwright, W. G. Cherry, are chief landowners.
Hampton Wafer is an extra-parochial place in this parish, consisting of 394 acres, which is tenanted by Mr. James Goodier; here were 14 inhabitants in 1851. At Uphampton, a little above the village, is a small British camp, forming one of a continuous range, which may be traced crossing this shire in a north-easterly direction. The King’s Head is a respectable commercial inn.
Post Office. – John Mason, postmaster. Letters arrive from Leominster at 11 a.m.; and despatched at 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is Leominster.
Bishop Edward, farmer, Lower Docklow
Bray Joseph, shoemaker
Bray William, farmer, Fencott
Britten Mrs. Susannah, farmer, Uphampton
Cherry William G., Esq., Buckland
Edwards James, land steward to W. G. Cherry, Esq., Docklow
Goodier James, farmer, Hampton wafer
Holyoake Mary, schoolmistress
Mason John, carpenter, parish clerk, and postmaster
Matthews James, farmer
Parr John, farmer
Steward Charles, farmer, Lower Buckland
Taylor Joseph, painter, plumber, and glazier, Docklow
Wood Joseph, blacksmith, and agricultural implement maker, King’s Head Inn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster