Status: Extra-parochial liberty
Alternative names: Dinmore Preceptory, Dynemore
Parish church: St John of Jerusalem
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: Search surrounding parishes
- Bishop’s Transcripts: Search surrounding parishes
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DINMORE, or Dinmore-Preceptory, an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Hereford; on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 7 ¾ miles N of Hereford. It has a station on the railway. Acres, 570. Real property, £567. Pop., 42. Houses, 7. A Templars' preceptory was founded here in the time of Henry II.; and the chapel of it was recently restored. Dinmore House, an old mansion, is the seat of S. Babbington, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dinmore, or Dynemore, an extra-parochial liberty in Grimsworth hund., county of Hereford; 7 miles north by west of Hereford. Leland, in his Itin. vol. iv. p. 90, says, "There standeth a little by the west of the very toppe of Dinemore-hill, on the left hand as I roade, a commandry with a fayre place that belonged to the order of the knights of St. John of Hierusalem in London." Acres 640. Houses 2. Pop., in 1801, 15; in 1831, 21.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Dinmore Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Dinmore is extra parochial, and is situated about 1 mile west of the Hereford and Leominster turnpike road, and about 2 from Wellington. The chapel is a stone building in the early English style of architecture, with square tower and beautiful stone spire. The living is a donative in the patronage of Fleming St. John, Esq.; the Rev. William T. Vernon, M.A., is chaplain. Dinmore House adjoins the chapel; it is a commodious and ancient stone building, which has recently undergone considerable repairs.
Babington S., Esq.
Jones William, farmer, Upper Dinmore
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Search surrounding parishes
Poor Law Union: Hereford