Dilwyn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Newtown and Hurst, Newtown with Hurs, Sollars Dilwyn, Newton with Hurst, Luntley, Hawen with the Headland, Church Dilwyn, Fawley, and Haven with the Headland.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Dilwyn
Historical Descriptions of Dilwyn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DILWYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Weobly district, Hereford. The village bears the name of Church-Dilwyn; stands 2½ miles NNE of Weobly, and 3 SSE of Pembridge r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Dilwyn, under Leominster. The parish includes also the townships of Sollars-Dilwyn, Fawley, Luntley, Haven-with-the-Headland, and Newtown-with-Hurst. Acres, 6,067. Real property, £9,722. Pop., 1,069. Houses, 238. The property is much subdivided. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £381. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is mainly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with large tower and wooden spire; and was recently in disrepair. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £35. The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 20,552. Pop., 3,701. Houses, 804.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dilwyn, a parish in the hund. of Stretford, union of Weobley, county of Hereford; 2½ miles north-east of Weobley. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 2s. 6d.; gross income £388. Patron, the bishop of Hereford. There are 2 daily schools, one partly supported by endowment. Charities, £12 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1837, £449. There are about 120 acres of hops reared here. Acres 6,080. Houses 202. A. P. £7,704. Pop., in 1801, 846; in 1831, 1,035.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Dilwyn Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Dilwyn is an extensive parish and considerable village, distant 6 miles south-west from Leominster, 2 north from Weobly, 12 north-west from Hereford, and 16 north-east from Hay, in the Hundreds of Wolphy and Stretford, Weobly Union, Weston deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Leominster and Hay turnpike road. The church of St. Mary, an ancient stone building in the Norman and Elizabethan style of architecture, was thoroughly repaired in 1851, will accommodate 850 persons, has a square tower with an excellent spire of wood, in which are placed six fine toned bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, two side-aisles, organ, and a font; in north wall are several marble tablets to the memory of the Lambe and Phillips families, and on the south side of the church is a very substantial and elegant stone porch.
The living is a vicarage, worth £400 yearly, with residence and 36 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev. Henry Charles Morgan, M.A., is incumbent, and the Rev. James Powell, M.A., is curate. Here is a National school for boys and girls, built in 1845; it will accommodate 160. It is supported by voluntary subscriptions, Government grants, and an endowment of £15 per annum; the master and mistress are also furnished with a residence. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, situate in the township of Church Dilwyn, a quarter of a mile east from the church. The population, in 1851, was 1,112, and the acreage is 5,973. The soil is clayey and loamy. Captain Daniel Peploe Peploe is lord of the manor; and Captain D. P. Peploe, Lacon William Lambe, Esq., and John Edward Wilson, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is fertile, and produces hops, wheat, barley, beans, and peas. There are charities of £14 yearly value. Dilwyn lordship formerly belonged to Walter de Gamage, who gave the right of dispasturing on Midsummer Meadows to the inhabitants of Leominster.
Bidney is a respectable farm house in the occupation of Mr. Henry Smith, it was formerly the residence of the Lambes.
Post Office – Mr. John Deane, postmaster. Letters arrive from Leominster at a ¼ to 12 a.m., and are despatched thereto at a ¼ past 3. The nearest money order office is at Weobly.
Brooks Edward, blacksmith
Coleman Mrs., Hill top
Deane Mr. John, school and post master
Harris Mr. William
Hughes Maria, shopkeeper
Hughes Richard, boot & shoemaker, Stockwin
Jones Jones, miller, New mill
Lewis William, wheelwright
Lloyd Mr. Thomas
Llewellyn Richard, relieving officer and registrar of births and deaths
Lord James, Crown Inn, & butcher
Matthews John, wheelwright
Morgan John, plumber, painter, & glazier
Parry Edwin, blacksmith
Powell William, boot and shoemaker
Smallwood Thos., timber agent to Dimmock & Co., Gravel hill
Southall Thomas, cooper
Thomas William, carpenter
Watkins Richard, shopkeeper
Brace Mrs. Eleanor, Upper Haven
Brace Thomas, Upper Haven
Bray George, Haven
Bray George, junr., Little Newton and Haven
Burlton John, Luntley
Cranston Thomas, Little Dilwyn
Davies James, Boyce field
Dent Stephen, Alton
Evans Thomas, Swanson
Hope Henry, Stockwin
Lane Thomas, White House, Luntley
Lewis Mrs., the Hurst
Moore Henry, Field’s place
Moore William, Newton
Munn John Tomkins, Perry ditch
Oliver William, Bearton
Palmer George, Tyrrell’s court
Pitt George, Chadnor court
Rogers Aaron, the Homm
Sankey Thomas, Venmoor
Smith Henry, Bidney
Williams Thomas, the Hurst
Winnall William, Lower Chadnor
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Weobley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weston
Poor Law Union: Weobley