Dewsall Herefordshire Family History Guide

Dewsall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. Callow is a chapelry of Dewsall.

Alternative names: Dewsall with Callow

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1582

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Dewsall

  • Much Dewchurch
  • Haywood
  • Callow
  • Aconbury

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DEWSALL, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 1½ mile SE of Tram-Inn r. station, and 4 ½ SSE of Hereford. Post town, Much-Dewchurch, under Ross. Acres, 676. Real property, £993. Pop., 36. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Callow, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200. Patron, the Rev. W. B. Mynors. The church is ancient but good, and contains some handsome monuments.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Dewsall, a parish in Wormelow hund., union and county of Hereford; 4½ miles south-west by south of Hereford. Living, a discharged vicarage annexed to the perpetual curacy of Acconbury. There were 14 acres of hops grown here in 1835. Acres 500. Houses 5. A. P. £657. Pop., in 1801, 47; in 1831, 44. Poor rates, in 1837, £16.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Dewsall, 6 miles S. Hereford. P. 40.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Dewsall (St. Michael), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 40 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 667 acres of fertile land; the surface is pleasingly varied, and from the higher grounds are some fine views of the surrounding country, embracing the Welsh mountains. The living, which was formerly united with those of Callow and Acornbury, is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and in the patronage of Guy’s Hospital, London: the tithes have been commuted for £114. 4. 6., and the glebe contains 2 acres.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Church records

Bishop's transcripts for Dewsall, 1660-1849

Parish registers for Dewsall, 1582-1837


Callow, Dewsall (Hereford City Deanery), monumental inscriptions, 1622-1990


Census returns for Dewsall, 1841-1891


Land tax assessments for the parish of Dewsall, 1776-1831


Dewsall Herefordshire 1914

Dewsall Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858


  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hereford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Archenfield
  • Poor Law Union: Hereford
  • Hundred: Wormelow
  • Province: Canterbury