Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1709
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Parishes adjacent to Cusop
Historical Descriptions of Cusop
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CUSOP, a parish in the district of Hay and county of Hereford; at the boundary with Brecon, near the Hereford and Brecon railway, 1¼ mile ESE of Hay. Post town, Hay, under Hereford. Acres, 2,294. Real property, £2,260. Pop., 218. Houses, 55. The property is much subdivided. The scenery is very beautiful. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £203. Patron, the Earl of Oxford. The church is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Cusop Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Cusop is a parish and village, 20 miles south-west from Hereford railway station, 1 north-east from Hay, 11 south from Kington, and 158 from London, in Ewais Lacy Hundred, Hay Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated on the Hereford and Hay road, on the borders of Brecknockshire. The church is an old stone building, supposed to have been erected about A.D. 1100, in a very plain style; has nave, chancel, porch, and two bells. The living is a rectory, in which considerable improvements will shortly be effected at a cost of about £350. There are some barrows in the township. The population in 1851, was 224, and the acreage is 2,294. The soil is sandy, the subsoil is chiefly sandstone and limestone. The commons in this parish will soon be enclosed.
Letters through Hay, which is the nearest money order office.
Allen Mr. William
Boucher Baldwin, miller
Howells John, Nelson Inn
James Thos., Esq., solicitor, Nant-y-glas-dwr
Lindsay Thomas, Esq., Dolace Cottage
Price George Mason, Sun Inn
Probert John, gardener and farmer
Thomas Rev. Kearsey, curate, the Cottage
Winstone Walter, clerk and sexton
Meredith David Ridley
Meredith Edward, Tyllyshope
Newman John, Ty-coch
Stokes William, Llydiat-y-wain
Wellings William, Nant-y-glas-dwr farm
Williams John, Bleanan
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Hay
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Hay
Hundred: Ewyas Lacey