Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1671
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Parishes adjacent to Credenhill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CREDENHILL, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on an affluent of the river Wye, adjacent to the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4½ miles NW by W of Hereford. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Bishopstone, under Hereford. Acres, 1,224. Real property, £2,500. Pop., 199. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. A well-wooded hill here is crowned by a double-ditched camp of about 40 acres; and commands a fine view. Credenhill House is the seat of the Eckleys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £297. Patron, the Rev. J. Eckley. The church is ancient but good; and contains monuments of the Eckleys.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Credenhill Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Credenhill is a parish, 4 ½ miles west from Hereford, and 14 ½ south-east from Kington, in Grimsworth Hundred, Hereford Union, Hereford deanery, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Kington turnpike road, and about a mile from the river Wye, which is famous for its salmon, trout and grayling. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building, in the Gothic style of architecture, with square tower covered with ivy; the interior consists of nave, chancel, a modern font, and several marble monuments to the Eckley families. The living is a rectory, worth £400 yearly, with residence and 26 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Rev. John Eckley, B.A., who is also incumbent.
There is a school for boys and girls, with an average attendance of 30. The population, in 1851, was 220, and the acreage is 1,224 acres of excellent land. The soil is deep loam and gravel, and the subsoil is red marl. The Rev. J. Eckley is lord of the manor; and the Rev. J. Eckley, and J. Hardwick, Esq., are the chief landowners. The crops are turnips, barley, clover, and wheat. There are charities of £3 10s. yearly value. On the summit of Credenhill are the remains of a Roman encampment, enclosed by a double ditch, containing about 50 acres, with three distinct entrances, - from which there is a very beautiful and extensive view of several counties; and about half a mile south of the church (on the estate of J. Hardwick, Esq.) are the interesting remains of the ancient Magna Castra. Roman coins and other antiquities have been frequently found there.
Post Office – Mrs. Sidney Lane, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford at a ¼ to 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at ½ past 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hereford.
Day Thomas, butcher
Eckley Rev. John, B.A., Credenhill court
Hardwick John, Esq.
Higgins John, corn miller, Credenhill mill
Jones William, wheelwright and carpenter; residence, Ivy house, Mansel Lacy
Lucas John, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker
Lechmere Thomas, Esq., J. P., Rectory
Mumford William, farmer, the Cross
Mumford Mrs. Ann
Powell Joseph, shoemaker
Taylor Jane, farmer, Court farm
Whitney John, tailor
Whitney Margaret, shopkeeper
Yeomans Francis, farmer, Cottage farm
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Hereford