Craswell, Herefordshire Family History Guide

St. Mary's church, Craswall
St. Mary's church, Craswall Photo © Jonathan Billinger (cc-by-sa/2.0)

Craswell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1728 from chapelry in Clodock Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Upper and Lower Crasswell.

Alternative names: Crasswall, Craswall, Crosswold

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1703
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Craswell

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CRASSWALL, or Crosswold, a township-chapelry in Clodock parish, Hereford; on the river Monnow, adjacent to the boundary with Brecon, 5½ miles SE of Hay r. station. Post town, Hay, under Hereford. Real property, £2, 197. Pop., 356. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. An alien priory, subordinate to Grandmont, was founded, in the time of King John, at what is now called the Abbey farm; and given, in the time of Edward IV., to Christ's college, Cambridge. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £47. Patron, the Vicar of Clodock. The church is old but very good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Directories

Craswell Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Craswell is a township and small village, 8 miles north-west from Pontrilas railway station, 6 south-east from Hay, 6 west from Abbey Dore, and 16 from Hereford, in Ewais Hundred, Dore Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated near the source of the river Monnow, at the foot of the Black Mountains, on the borders of Brecknockshire. The church is a plain old stone building, in good repair; has nave, porch, font, small belfry and one bell. It is a chapel of ease to the vicarage at Cloddock. Here was formerly a small priory, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and subordinate to the order of Grandmount, in Normandy; it contained ten monks with their superior, who were established here about the reign of King John. At the suppression its revenues amounted to 40s. yearly, which was granted to Christ Church College, Cambridge. The Black Mountains are in this parish. The population, in 1851, was 357. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone; in the manor of Ewais Lacy.

Firhill is a hamlet.

Letters through Hay, which is the nearest money order office.

Farmers

Beavan Thomas
Davies Elizabeth
Evans Mrs.
Gaine Thomas
Gilbert John
Howell James
Jones James
Jones Samuel
Jones George
Jones William
Jenkins Sarah
Lewis J., Birches
Lewis William
Lewis David
Meredith Elizabeth
Price John
Prosser William
Parry James
Phillips William
Phillips John
Watkins David
Watkins George
Wall John
Williams Benjamin
Williams George
Williams Thomas

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hereford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Brecon
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Weobley
  • Poor Law Union: Dore
  • Hundred: Ewyas Lacey
  • Province: Canterbury