Status: Ancient parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1675
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Coddington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CODDINGTON, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; under the Malvern Hills, near the Worcester and Hereford railway, not far from Colwall station, 3 ½ miles N of Ledbury. Post town, Bosbury, under Ledbury. Acres, 1,076. Real property, £1,613. Pop., 168. Houses, 30. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £170. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is old, and has a wooden tower. Charities, £37.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Coddington Littleburys Directory 1879
Coddington is a small parish in Herefordshire, distant 12 miles S.W. of Worcester, 4 N. of Ledbury, 5 S.W. of Malvern, and 15 E. by N. of Hereford; is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 168; in 1871, 180; inhabited houses, 34; families or separate occupiers, 40; area of parish, 1,064 acres 1 rood 21 poles; annual rateable value, £1,492. The Lord Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor, and Charles Archibald Hewitt, Esq., Henry Edward Vale, Esq., and Mrs. Holland, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey, and yields excellent hops and apples. The other chief crops are wheat, beans, and roots.
Coddington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory; value, £186, with residence and 36 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. George James Curtis, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1860. The church forms a pretty object, and is prettily situated, the view from the churchyard westward being very extensive. This 12th-century church, dedicated to All Saints, was restored in 1866, under the superintendence of F. R. Kempson, Esq., F.I.B.A., of Hereford, at a cost of about £2,200. It consists simply of nave and chancel without aisles, but having a new ornamental tower and spire at the west end containing a peal of six bells. It was originally a Norman structure, as appears by the round-headed door beneath a modern porch, and, though restored, the Norman features have been preserved as much as possible. The Early English windows remain; those in the chancel were filled with stained glass in 1873. The church is paved with encaustic titles. The reredos is composed of round intersecting arcades supported on polished marble pillars, which is very effective. There is a piscina on the south side. There is an organ-chamber, and a fine organ was erected in 1871 by Nicholson of Worcester. The parish registers begin with the year 1675. A new school, with residence for the mistress, was built in 1868, near the church, at a cost of £650. The average attendance is about 25. There are charities to the amount of £30 yearly, the principal of which is a farm, devised in the reign of Henry VIII, for the benefit of the poorer classes. Coddington Court is the residence of Captain Henry Edward Vale.
Postal Regulations. – Letters arrive by messenger from Ledbury about 8.30 a.m. The letter-box is cleared at 4.45 p.m. on week-days only. Colwall is the nearest money-order office. Telegrams may be sent from Colwall railway station. Post town, Ledbury.
Parish Church (All Saints’). – Rev. George James Curtis, M.A., Rector; Mrs. M. A. Kendrick and Mr. John Smith, Churchwardens; James Lewis, Parish Sexton.
Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss Harriette Dallow, Mistress
Curtis Rev. George James, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Vale Henry Edward, Esq. (captain in the Worcestershire militia), Coddington court
Agricultural & Commercial.
Dallow Miss H., schoolmistress, School house
Farmer James, mason, shopkeeper, and beer retailer (The Plough)
James George, farmer, Pound farm
James Thomas, carpenter & wheelwright, Lucy’s cottage
Kendrick Mrs. Mary Ann, farmer and hop grower, Woefields
Morris William, tailor
Moss Samuel, tailor
Purser Charles, farmer, Bush farm; res., Bean house, Cradley, near Malvern
Rogers Mrs. M., beer retailer (Golden Cross)
Smith John, farmer and hop grower, Coddington farm
Smith William Henry, farmer, Moorcroft
Wadley John, fmr. & hop grw., Church fm.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Ledbury
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Ledbury