Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Clodock with Longtown
Parish church: St. Cleodocus; St Clydawg or Clydog
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1703
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1687
Parishes adjacent to Clodock
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLODOCK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Munnow, under the Black Mountains, 4½ miles W of Pontrilas r. station, and 15 SW of Hereford. The parish includes the chapelries of Longtown, Llanveynoe, Crasswall, and Newton; and its post town is Pontrilas, under Hereford. Acres, 17, 833. Real property, £10, 704. Pop., 1, 794. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. An old castle and a camp are here, on the line of Watling-street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £222. Patron, W. Wilkins, Esq. The church is early English, with a tower, and good. The p. curacies of Longtown, Llanveynoe, Crasswall, and Newton are separate benefices. Charities, £40. The sub-district contains seven parishes. Acres, 28,404. Pop., 2,864. Houses, 578.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Clodock Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Clodock is a very large parish and village, 4 miles west from Pontrilas railway station, 15 south west from Hereford, 4 south-west of the Abbey Dore Union, and about 140 from London, in Ewais Lacy Hundred, Dore Union; it is situated on the river Monnow, at the foot of the Black Mountains. The church of St. Cleadicus is a large stone building with a square tower, in the early English style of architecture, in good repair; has a nave, side aisles, chancel, porch, and several monumental tablets. The living is a vicarage, worth £220 yearly, with residence. The Rev. Charles Probert is the incumbent. There is a circular moat, inside which once stood a castle. The population of the parish, in 1851, was 1,711, and the acreage is 17,833. The soil is sandy, the subsoil is red sandstone. It is in Ewais Lacy manor. There are charities of £20 yearly value.
Letters through Hereford.
Cook John, carpenter
Cook Thomas, carpenter
Farr William, Cornwall Arms
Miles Richard, miller and shopkeeper
Parry Mary, shopkeeper
Penery Henry, New Inn
Price John, farmer, and relieving officer
Pritchard John, shopkeeper, and parish clerk
Ricketts James, blacksmith
Parry Thomas, (& victualler)
Price John, (& relieving officer)
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
The Bankrupt Directory 1843
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Roberts Joseph, Clodoch Mills, Herefordshire; and Joseph Roberts, jun., Abergavenny; wine and spirit merchants and corn dealers, July 17, 1840.
Pursuant to the Act for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors in England THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF INSOLVENT DEBTORS
NB See the Notice at the end of these Advertisements
The following PRISONERS whose Estates and Effects have been vested in the Provisional Assignee by Order of the Court having filed their Schedules are ordered to be brought up before a Commissioner on Circuit to be dealt with according to the Statute as follows At the Court House at Hereford in the County of Hereford on Saturday the 15th day of February 1845 at Ten o Clock in the Forenoon precisely.
Edward Lewis late of Forist mill cottage Craswall parish of Clodock Herefordshire Hop Grower General Shopkeeper and Retailer of Cider
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Brecon
Diocese: St David's
Rural Deanery: Brecknock
Poor Law Union: Dore
Hundred: Ewyas Lacey