Castle Frome is an Ancient parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Castle Froome
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1719
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Castle Frome
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTLE-FROME, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; on the river Frome, 3 miles NNE of Ashperton r. station, and 6 NNW of Ledbury. Post Town, Bishops-Frome, under Worcester. Acres, 1,511. Real property, £2,042. Pop., 115. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value £300. Patron, F. T. Freeman, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Castle-Froome, 7 m. N. Ledbury. P. 183
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Froome, Castle (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Ledbury; containing 183 inhabitants. This parish, which is watered by the river Froome, comprises 1474 acres; the surface is varied with hills and dales; the soil is a rich loam, alternated with clay, resting on a limestone gravel in the arable lands, and the meadow and pasture lands are rich and luxuriant. The road from Ledbury to Bromyard intersects the parish from south to north. There are extensive quarries of limestone and of freestone of good quality for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £5. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. W. J. Lyell: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe contains 55 3/4 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Castle Frome Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Castle Frome is a township, and small parish, 6 ½ miles north-west from Ledbury, in Radnor [sic] Hundred, Ledbury Union, and in Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church is a neat small building of stone, having a tower and spire. The living is a rectory, value £300 per annum; the Rev. William Godden Loyal, M.A., is the rector. The population, in 1851, was 165; the acreage is 1,511.
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Errington Thomas, farmer, Milling
Fincher William, stonemason & beer retailer
Homes John, Esq., New Birchend
Jenkins Henry, farmer, Castle hill
Jones Edward, woodman
Ockey Charles, farmer, Moorend
Powell Thomas, farmer, Frogend
Pudge William, butcher
Taylor Samuel, Esq., the Town
Watkins William, smith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ledbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Ledbury
- Hundred: Radlow
- Province: Canterbury