Canon Frome is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Civil parish: Canon Frome
Parish church: St James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1680
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Parishes adjacent to Canon Frome
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CANON-FROME, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; on the river Frome, 2 miles N of Ashperton r. station, and 6 NW by N of Ledbury. Post Town, Bosbury, under Ledbury. Acres, 1,023. Real property, £1,278. Pop., 115. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. Canon-Frome Court is the seat of the Rev. John Hopton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220. Patron, the Rev. John Hopton. The church was built in 1861; is in the early English style, with ornate chancel and alabaster reredos; and retains the tower of a previous church.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Canon-Froome, 7 miles N.W. Ledbury. P. 115
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Froome, Canon (St. James), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ledbury; containing 115 inhabitants. This place was a military station in the civil war; the court-house was fortified for the king, and afterwards became an intermediate garrison between Hereford and Worcester; and the church, which was situated close to it, was destroyed to render it more defensible. The old manor-house of the Hopton family was also garrisoned by the royalists, and afterwards wholly dismantled by the parliamentarians. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Froome, and the canal from Gloucester, through Ledbury, to Hereford passes its south-west boundary. It comprises 1023a. 36p., of which about 100 acres are woodland, and the remainder is computed to be nearly equal portions of arable and pasture; the ground is undulated, and the soil in general rich loam, occasionally alternated with sand; limestone gravel, excellent for roads, is abundant. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed by the Hopton family with the rectorial tithes, valued in the King’s books at £4. 13. 4., and in the gift of the incumbent, the Rev. John Hopton, whose ancestors for several generations have been lords of the manor: the tithes have been commuted for £181. 7., and the glebe contains 4 acres. The church was rebuilt with brick after the Restoration. A school for girls is supported by the incumbent.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Canon Frome Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Canon Frome is a township and small parish, distant 7 miles north-west from Ledbury, in Radlow Hundred, Ledbury Union, and Hereford bishopric and archdeaconry. The church, which is of brick, is small, containing one aisle and a gallery. The tower is square and turreted. The living is a rectory, valued at £200. The population, in 1851, was 95; acreage, 1,005. The soil is clayey, but rich.
Letters through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.
Hopton Rev. John, M.A., Canon Frome ct.
Hooper John, farmer
Hooper Richard, farmer
Jones William, parish clerk
Magness John, smith
Pitt Francis, farmer, White house
Pitt William, farmer
Taylor John, farmer, Red castle
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Herefordshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ledbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Ledbury
- Hundred: Radlow
- Province: Canterbury