Callow, originally a chapelry of Dewsall Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. The modern parish is Dewsall with Callow and the Parish Church is Dewsall St Michael.
Civil parish: Callow
Parish church: St Michael; St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576; see also Dewsall
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Callow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CALLOW, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 2 miles E of Tram Inn r. station, and 4 S by W of Hereford. Post Town, Hereford. Acres, 621. Real property, £486. Pop., 137. Houses, 30. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Dewsall, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Callow, 4 m. S. Hereford. P. 171
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Callow (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Hereford; containing 171 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Hereford to Ross, and comprises by measurement 582 acres; the surface is moderately undulated and well wooded, and the soil is nearly of average fertility. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and annexed to the vicarage of Dewsall; 22 acres of land are tithe-free, having formerly belonged to the fraternity of St. John of Jerusalem. The tithes have been commuted for £86. 2. 10.; in addition to which, £12 a year are received from fourteen acres of land, purchased a few years ago, with an allowance from Queen Anne’s Bounty. The church is pleasantly situated on the summit of a hill overlooking, at a short distance, the high road, and was rebuilt about the year 1831. The rent of four acres of land, bought with £100 bequeathed by Henry Pearle, Esq., a native, is given to the poor on St. Thomas’s-day, when a distribution is also made of the interest of £80 in the savings’ bank at Hereford, the produce of timber cut down on the land a few years since. There are the remains of two Roman camps.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Callow Herefordshire 1914
Carter T., farmer, Twyford farm.
Crump Chas., parish clerk.
Hirons Geo., licd. vict., The Angel.
Langford Mrs. Ellen, farmer, Brook farm.
Mercer Mrs. I., schoolmistress.
Preece Mrs., Elizabeth, Brook farm.
Powell Roger A., farmer, Callow farm.
Webb Mrs. L. A., sub-postmistress.
(Assistant overseer: W. J. Verry, King’s Thorne).
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury