Byton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cwms Moor
Civil parish: Byton
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1763
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Byton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BYTON, a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on the river Lug, near Shobdenhill-wood, 4 miles NNW of Pembridge r. station, and 4 E of Presteigne. Post Town, Shobden, Herefordshire. Acres, 946. Real property, £1,044. Pop., 214. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £104. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1860; and is a cruciform structure, in the early English style. The previous church was burned. Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Byton, 11 miles S.W. Leominster. P. 172
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Byton Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Byton is a small parish, with the hamlet of Cwms Moor, 4 miles south-east from Presteigne (its post and poor law Union town), 10 ½ from Leominster, 6 from Kington (its polling place and police station and also its place for magisterial business), and about 20 from Hereford, in Wigmore Hundred, Presteign Union, archdeaconry of Hereford, and Hereford diocese; it is situated near to the turnpike-road leading from Leominster to Presteign. The Church of St. Mary is a plain building, with small belfry, nave, chancel, and porch. The living is a rectory, worth £125 yearly, and about three-quarters of an acre of glebe land, in the gift of the Crown. The population, in 1851, was 176, and the acreage is 847. The soil is a light thin sol; the subsoil is rocky and alluvial. Francis Evelyn, Rev. Thomas King, and the representatives of the late Mrs. John Woodhouse, are chief landowners. There is a charity of £8 yearly value.
Letters through Presteign, which is the nearest money order office.
Britton Charles, farmer, Great Woodhouse
Davies Thomas, Bell Inn
Edwards Mr., farmer
Morgan William, shoemaker
Morris Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Presteigne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Kington
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury