Brockhampton, originally formed as chapelry to Woolhope, Herefordshire Ancient parish became an Ecclesiastical parish in 1771.

Parish church: Holy Trinity; All Saints (built in 1901-1902)

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1578
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Brockhampton

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Brockhampton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Graytree, union of Ross, county of Hereford; 6 miles north of Ross, on the eastern bank of the Wye. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; valued at £10 8s., and rated in the parliamentary returns at £60; gross income £74; in the patronage and peculiar jurisdiction of the dean and chapter of Hereford. Near the village is the site of a Roman encampment. Pop., in 1801, 117; in 1831, 153. Houses 33. Acres 620. A. P. £768. Poor rates, in 1837, £72.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Brockhampton, 4 m. N. Ross. P. 132

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.


Brockhampton Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Brockhampton is a parish and village, distant 2 miles north-east from Fawley station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, 138 from London, 7 north from Ross, and 9 south-east from Hereford; being situate about three-quarters of a mile from the banks of the river Wye, and in the Wormelow Hundred, Ross Union, Hereford archdeaconry, deanery, and bishopric.  The church of the Holy Trinity is an old stone building, and consists of a nave, chancel, porch, and low tower.  The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £74 yearly, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; the Rev. J. O. Stallard is the incumbent.  The school (for boys and girls) is supported by subscription.  The estate belongs to the family of the late Wm. Stallard, Esq., and comprises nearly the whole of the parish.  The population, in 1851, was 145, with 785 acres.

Letters through Ross, which is the nearest money order office.

Parish School, (boys and girls), Mrs. Ann Nurse, mistress

Lloyd John, farmer

Stallard Rev. Joseph Orlando, M.A., The Lower house

Stallard William, Esq.

Townsend William, farmer and blacksmith, Totney

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.


  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ross
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Hereford
  • Poor Law Union: Ross
  • Hundred: Greytree
  • Province: Canterbury