Brobury was an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. In 1851 it was united with Bredwardine, Herefordshire.
Parish church: St Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1784
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Brobury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROBURY, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; on the river Wye, adjacent to the Hereford and Brecon railway, near Kinnersley station, 8½ miles E by N of Hay. Post Town, Bredwardine, under Hereford. Acres, 508. Real property, £819. Pop., 76. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. Brobury scar is a bold grand object, amid the fine scenery of the Wye. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Bredwardine, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is small and plain.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Brobury, a parish in the hund. of Grimsworth, union of Weobley, county of Hereford; 8½ miles east by north of Hay, on the northern bank of the river Wye. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; valued at £4, rated in the parliamentary returns at £87; gross income £180. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. N. D. H. Newton. Pop., in 1801, 79; in 1831, 62. Houses 16. Arres 440. A. P. £646. Poor rates, in 1837, £17. Brobury scar, in the neighbourhood, is a grand object, and contrasts beautifully, in its bold and majestic outline, with the scenery on the banks of the Wye.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Brobury, 10 miles N.W. Hereford. P. 71
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Brobury Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Brobury is a parish, 11 miles west-north-west from Hereford, 10 from Kington, and 10 from Hay, in Grimsworth Hundred, Weobly Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, and adjoining the road from Brecon to Hereford. The church is an old stone building; has nave, chancel, bell gable, and two bells. The living is a rectory, worth £140 yearly, with 32 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Rev. W. Newton; the Rev. W. Newton, of Bredwardine, is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 60, and the acreage is 442. Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., is the lord of the manor and chief landowner. The charities are of £1 10s. yearly value.
Letters through Hereford. The nearest money order offices are at Kington and Hay.
Martin Richard and Thomas, farmers
Powell Matthew, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Grimsworth
- Province: Canterbury