Bridstow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. The vilage and civil parish of Bridstow is south west of hereford.
Parish church: St Bridget
Parish registers begin: 1560
Parishes adjacent to Bridstow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIDSTOW, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on the River Wye, adjacent to the Monmouth and Hereford railway, 1 mile W by N of Ross. Post Town, Ross. Acres, 2,199. Real property, £5,506. Pop., 717. Houses, 143. Wilton Castle here is an old seat of the Lords Grey de Wilton, burnt in the civil wars, and now an ivy-clad ruin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £276. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bridstow, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Wormelow, union of Ross, county of Hereford; 1 mile west-north-west of Ross, on the western bank of the river Wye. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; valued at £9 3s. 11½d., rated in the parliamentary returns at £55 17s. 6d.; gross income £302; in the patronage of the bishop of Hereford. There are two daily schools in this parish. In the vicinity is Wilton castle, now a picturesque ruin covered with ivy, but formerly the baronial residence of the lords Grey de Wilton. Pop., in 1801, 471; in 1831, 596. Houses 116. Acres 1,870. A. P. £4.141. Poor rates, in 1837 £326.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bridstow, 1 m. S.W. Ross. P. 625.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bridstow Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
Bridstow is a parish and village, 1 mile nnd a half west from Ross railway station, 9 miles north from Monmouth, 12½ south-east from Hereford, and 122½ from London, in the lower division of Wormelow hundred, Ross union, county court district and petty sessional division, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, and rural deanery of Archenfield; it is situated on the right bank of the river Wye, at the junction of the old and new roads to Hereford. The church of St. Bridget has lately been restored, all but the tower having been rebuilt from the ground; it has a nave, two side aisles, porch, and chancel; the ancient chancel arch, dating from two years before the Norman conquest, has been preserved in the new church. The living is a vicarage, with a rent-charge of £237 15s., with a good residence and about 62 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev. Henry W. Tweed, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, is the incumbent. Here is a National school for boys and girls. The soil is a sandy loam; the subsoil is red sandstone rock. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and owners of the greater part of the land. The population in 1861 was 717; the acreage is 2,080.
Wilton, or Wilton-on-the-Wye, is a hamlet and neat village in this parish, situated on the right side of the river, at the spot where the noble stone bridge crosses the Wye on the Ross, Hereford, and Monmouth roads. Just above the bridge stand the remains of Wilton Castle, the baronial residence of Hugh de Longchamp in the reign of Henry 1.; it afterwards passed to the noble family of Grey de Wilton, and gives them their title.
Parish Clerk, Henry Yates.
Allaway James, esq. Marraston house
Armitage Arthur,Esq.J.P. Dudnor house
Jackson Mr. Richard
Price Misses, Benhall
Sleeman Colonel, Wearend cottage
Tweed Rev. Henry W. M.A. [vicar]
Beavan George, builder & carpenter, Oak cottage
Bickerton Jeremiah, boot& shoe maker
Brown Thomas, farmer, Wearend farm
Collins George, shopkeeper, Burnt ho
Edwards Mrs. farmer, Ash farm
Floyd William, gardener, Wearend
Hodges Peter, carpenter, wheelwright & shopkeeper, Poolmill
Hodges Samuel, blacksmith
Kirsey Charles, farmer
Lucas James, farmer, Whitecross
Lucas Robert, farmer, Bower farm
Monk James, farm bailiff to Misses Price, Benhall farm
Morgan Richard, farmer
Nicholls James, farmer
Pearce John, farmer
Price Misses, farmers, Benhall farm
Pritchard John, farmer, Kyrle’s cross
Pye Thomas, farmer
Wyle William, farmer
Yates Henry, carpenter
Collins Nathaniel Kyrle, esq. Wilton cot
Prosser Mrs. Elizabeth
Smith Mr. James, Wilton court
Smith R. Wyndham, esq. Wilton house
Coburn James, boot & shoe maker
Coburn Mrs. milliner
Cowmeadow Jane (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker
Davies Joseph, King’s Head, & shop keeper
Dodd John, shopkeeper
Poole John, White Lion
Post Office.— Thomas Minett, receiver, Wilton-on-the-Wye. Letters through Ross arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ross.
National School, Miss Emma Straight, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury