Alternative names: Bridge Solers, Bridge Sollars
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1615
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Bridge Sollers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIDGE-SOLLARS, a parish in Weobly district, Herefordshire; on Offa’s dyke, the river Wye, and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 1½ mile WNW of Credenhill station, and 6 WNW of Hereford. Post Town, Bishopstone, under Hereford. Acres, 768. Real property, £1,329. Pop., 62. Houses, 10. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £100. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early decorated English, and good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bridge-Sollers, a parish in the hund. of Grimsworth, union of Weobley, county of Hereford; 6 miles west-north-west of Hereford: on the banks of the river Wye, over which there is a ferry here. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; valued at £3 10s., and rated in the parliamentary returns at £102; gross income £100. Patron, in 1835, Sir J. G. Cotterell, Bart. Pop., in 1801, 53; in 1831, 71. Houses 12. Acres 740. A. P. £1,159. Poor rates, in 1837, £104.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bridge-Sollers, 6 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 65
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bridge Sollers Herefordshire 1914
Abberley W., shopkpr., Post office.
Blashill Robt., farmer, Knapp farm.
Bywater Mrs., Nelson inn (Bishopstone).
Edwards F. T., frmr., Marsh court.
Klugh Rev. Leonard, vicar; residence Kenchester Rectory.
Lewis J. E., Bunshill.
Matthews A., frmr., Bridge farm.
Wootton John H., assistant overseer; res., Byford.
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Bridge Solers Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Bridge Solers is a parish, distant 6 miles from Hereford, 6 from Weobly, and 14 from Hay, in Weobly Union, Weobly deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and diocese; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay turnpike road. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient stone structure, in the Norman and pointed styles of architecture; it has a square tower with two bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle. The living is a vicarage, worth £100 yearly, with half and acre of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. James Johnson, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Richard Hayward Williams, B.A., is the curate. The population, in 1851, was 65, and the acreage is about 800. The soil is stiff loam upon gravel. Sir Henry Cotterell, Bart., is the landowner. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, turnips, hops, pears, and apples.
Offa’s Dyke is contiguous to this parish.
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.
Blashill Robert, farmer, the Nap
Lawrence Uvedale, Salmon Inn, & farmer
Snead William, farmer
Taylor William, farmer, Marsh court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Grimsworth
- Province: Canterbury