Breinton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Wareham, part of Hereford city.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Breinton
- Stretton Sugwas
- Eaton Bishop
- Hereford St Nicholas
- Hereford St John the Baptist
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Breinton, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, and on the Hereford and Brecon railway, 2 ½ miles W by S of Hereford. It includes the hamlet of Wareham and a pendicle of Hereford city, and its post-town is Hereford. Acres, 1,629. Real property, £3,221. Pop., 398. Houses, 83. The properly is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £109. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is tolerable; and there are charities £17
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Breinton, 2 m. W. Hereford. P. 362
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Church Records - Indexes
Breinton Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Breinton, consisting of Upper and Lower, is a township, parish, and straggling village, situated 3 mites west-south-west from Hereford railway station, and is in the Hundred of Grimsworth, and Hereford Union, archdeaconry, deanery, and bishopric. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is pleasantly situated on an eminence bordering on the river Wye, which bounds the parish on the south, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a square tower at the west end containing two bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £109 yearly, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev. Edmund Du Buisson, M.A. is the incumbent. The chief landed proprietors of this parish are John Edwin Jones, Esq.; John Cranston, Esq. of King’s Acre; Edward Lewis, Esq.; John Davies, Esq.; Daniel Pearce, Esq.; and Edmund Russell, Esq., of the Showers, Kingsland. Here is a chapel and school endowed by Lady Southampton, the latter of which is applied to the education of 42 children, and is conducted by Mr. James Pugh. At Warham is also a Church of England school for boys and girls, established January 22, 1855. This is partly within the limits of the city of Hereford. There are charities of about £9 yearly value. The population, in 1851, was 366, with 1,639 acres. The crops are wheat, beans, turnips, &c., with pears and apples.
At King’s Acre is a nursery and flower garden, famed for its beautiful roses.
Letters through Hereford which is the nearest money order office.
Cross Thomas, shoemaker, Common
Cranston John, seedsman, florist, and nurseryman, King’s Acre
Davies John, Esq., Upper Breinton
Davies John, blacksmith
Grey John, builder, King’s Acre
Haggitt Mrs., Lower Breinton
Harris Captain, R.N., Breinton Lodge
Jones J. E., Esq., Springfield
Lewis Edmund, Esq., Wyecliff house
Lloyd Thomas, tailor, King’s Acre
Pearce Daniel, Esq., Swains hall
Peglar Samuel, Coach and Horses
Powell Edwin, farmer, Veldiver
Price Mr. Thomas, King’s Acre
Pugh Mr. James, master of Lady Southampton’s school, Common
Probert Thomas, wheelwright and carpenter, Upper Breinton
Savage George, farmer
Thomas J., farmer
Thomas William, Esq., Breinton house
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Hereford
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Grimsworth
- Province: Canterbury