Brampton Abbotts is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Parishes adjacent to Brampton Abbotts
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMPTON-ABBOTS, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on the river Wye, and on the Hereford and Gloucester railway, 1½ mile N of Ross. Post Town, Ross. Acres, 1,452. Real property, £2,961. Pop., 257. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. Brampton Abbots House is the seat of the Garrolds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £245. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Brampton-Abbots, 3 m. N. Ross. P. 197
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Brampton-Abbots (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 1 mile (N.) from Ross; containing 197 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by computation 1500 acres, is situated on the left bank of the river Wye, and in the heart of a rich and fertile district, abounding with picturesque and romantic scenery; it is intersected in the eastern part by the road from Ledbury to Ross. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £12, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £321. 2. 6., and the glebe comprises 8 acres. Schools are supported by the minister.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Brampton Abbotts Cassey Herefordshire Directory 1858
Brampton Abbotts is a parish, and small scattered village, one mile north from Ross railway station, 16 from Hereford, 20 from Gloucester, and 134 from London; it is in Greytree Hundred, and Ross Union, petty sessional division, county court district, and deanery, and Hereford bishopric; it is situate about 1 mile east of the river Wye. The church of St. Michael is an old plain stone building, with small belfry of old style; was repaired about 1854, it has nave, chancel, organ, font, porch, and three bells. The Rev. W. Hulme is the rector. The living is a rectory, worth £300 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Bishop of Hereford. The population, in 1851, was 220, and the acreage is 1,452 acres. The soil is sandy loam; the subsoil is clay and rock. The Right Hon. Lord Ashburton, P.C., is lord of the manor; and Mr. John Dew, and Mr. Daniel Dew are landowners.
Overtown and Gatsford were occupied by the Romans.
Letters through Ross, which is also the nearest money order office.
Barrett James, farmer, Overtown
Dew Daniel, Esq.
Dew John, Esq., Netherton
Dew John, farmer
Howell Stephen, farmer, Townsend farm
Garrold Richard, Esq., the Lodge
Marfell George, farmer, Gatsford
Richards Henry, carpenter
Phillips Samuel, wheelwright & parish clerk
Simkins Jacob, blacksmith
Suttle Wm. Leonard, farmer, Park farm
Turner John, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ross
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Greytree
- Province: Canterbury