Bosbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Upleadon and Catley.
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Bosbury
- Castle Frome
- Mathon, Worcestershire
- Canon Frome
- Bishop's Frome with Fromes Hill
- Wellington Heath
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOSBURY, a village and a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford. The village stands on the river Leddon, under the Malvern hills, 3 miles WNW of Colwall r. station, and 4 N by W of Ledbury; and has a post office under Ledbury. The parish includes the parochial divisions of Upleadon and Catley. Acres, 4,769. Real property, £8,499. Pop., 1,090. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. An old building, now used as a farmhouse, was once a seat of the Bishops of Hereford. The parish is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £337. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient and good. A grammar school has £90 from endowment; other charities £33.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bosbury with Upleader [sic], a parish in the hund. of Radlow, union of Ledbury, county of Hereford; 4 miles north by west of Ledbury, Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford, valued at £10 3s. 8d.; gross income £379; in the patronage of the bishop of Hereford. This parish possesses a daily school, and two Sunday schools. In addition to these there is a school here, endowed by Sir Rowland Morton with lands and houses; but having been thrown into the chancery, the revenues are swallowed up by law expenses, the houses dilapidated, the school-room shut up, and the tenants now refuse to pay the rents. Pop., in 1801, 776; in 1831, 1061. Houses 224. Acres 5,200; upwards of 200 acres of hops are grown. A. P. £5,760. Poor rates, in 1837, £718.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bosbury with Upleadon, 4 miles N. Ledbury. P. 1137
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Daniel Philip Howe, Bosbury, Herefordshire, cider merchant, July 4, 1834.
Bosbury Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Bosbury is a parish, and village, in Radlow Hundred, Ledbury Union, 4 ½ miles from Ledbury, and about 145 from London. There is a church. The living is a rectory. There is a National school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 1,133, and the acreage 4,769 acres. For parish purposes the township is divided into Bosbury, Upleadon, and Catley parochial divisions. This is a cider district. The soil is a deep heavy clay.
Letters through Ledbury, which is also the nearest money order office.
Bishop William, grocer
Chadd James, shoemaker
Chadd Joseph, parish clerk
Crouch Thomas, miller, Lower mill
Furlong Elisha, shopkeeper
Gardiner Thomas, butcher
Godfrey Richard, bailiff, Riddings
Harding Hannah, cider retailer
Higgins Edward, Esq., J.P., Bosbury house
Hyatt Matthew E, miller, Stapelow court
Jennings Williams, cooper
Lewis John, Bell Inn, and shopkeeper
Orgee Kenlin, beer retailer
Phillips Mrs. Jane, shopkeeper & postmistress
Shaw John, beer retailer
Stanhope Rev. Mr., incumbent
Thomas David, shopkeeper
Berry Edward, New house
Bosley Thomas, Bentleys
Burrows Alfred Job, Grange
Colder Joseph, Slatch
Carwardine James, Dowding’s Brook
Cook William, Merrings
Drinkwater Thomas, Sugarcroft
Gardiner Joseph, Paddles
Hickman Richard, the Farm
Inett Thomas, Old court
Lewis Henry, Swinemoor
Maddox Joseph, Upper Catleys
Morris Thomas, Upper mill
Mutlow James, Gold hill
Mutlow John, Coal green
Newman Joseph, Upper Leddon
Palmer John, Dog farm
Palmer John, Towning
Palmer William, Note house
Pitt William, Temple court
Ricketts Thomas, Helms
Smith Edward, Catley’s cross
Spencer Edward, Woodlow
Treherne Henry, Upper Catley
Voab William, Old Country
Welland James, Nash end
Wood John, Strangewood Broad Oak
Wood Thomas, Broad Oak
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ledbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Ledbury
- Hundred: Radlow
- Province: Canterbury