Aymestrey (St. John and St. Alkmund), a parish, in the union of Leominster, consisting of the townships of Conhope and Over Lye, in the hundred of Stretford, and the townships of Aymestrey, Mortimer’s-Cross, Nether Lye, Shirley, and Yatton, and the chapelry of Leinthall-Earls, in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 8 miles (N. W.) from Leominster; containing 958 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Lugg, comprises by computation 5721 acres, of which 1926 are arable, 2355 meadow and pasture, 1405 woodland, and about 35 garden ground: limestone abounds in the vicinity. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £7. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £249; impropriators, Bishop of Hereford and Mrs. Lewis. There is a chapel of ease at Leinthall-Earls, a very ancient structure. Here are two schools, with small endowments. Traces of Roman and British camps are discernible near the village.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Aymestrey, or Aylmistree, a parish partly in the hund, of Stretford, and partly in that of Wigmore, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 8 miles north-west from Leominster. It comprises the townships of Conhope, Aymestrey, and Over Lye. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £7 14s. 2d.; gross income £253; in the patronage of the Crown. There are a charity school here, with an endowment of about £14 per annum, now in connection with the National school society, and two other daily schools. Other charities connected with the parish produce about £19 per annum. The river Lugg runs through this parish, and its banks here are singularly rich and beautful. Near the village are traces of Roman and British camps. Pop., in 1801, 779; in 1831, 1,006. Houses 195. Acres 7,070. A. P. £5,020. Poor rates, in 1837, £482.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Aymestrey is a parish, comprising the townships of Aymestrey, Covenhope, Leinthall Earles, Lye, and Yatton; the village is distant 7½ miles north-west from Leominster (its post, railway, poor-law union, market and polling town), 2½ from Wigmore (at which place petty sessions are held), and 18 from Hereford (the county town), in the Leominster division of Wigmore hundred and partly in Stretford hundred, Leominster union and rural deanery of Leominster, North Herefordshire, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Great Watling Street turnpike road, and on the river Lug, which is famous for its trout and grayling fishing. The church of St. John is an old stone building in the Early English style; it has a square tower containing 6 bells, an ancient monument (supposed to be to the memory of the founder and his wife), font, clock, and old register, and on the south side of the chancel is a fine specimen of herringbone masonry. The living is a vicarage, worth £400 yearly, including residence and about 30 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Rogers, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge, is the incumbent, and the Rev. J. J. Peglar, B.A., curate.
There is an Endowed school for boys and girls, and there is a Sunday school held at the school-room. Yatton Court, the property of Mrs. Lewis, is a modern stone building, pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Lug. There are quarries of limestone in the neighbourhood, possessing the peculiar strata for which Aymestrey is noted, and in the stone fossils are found. The population in 1861 was 855; the soil is loose gravelly land; the subsoil is limestone. T. Dunne, Esq., Sir Thomas Hastings, Lady Langdale, Lord Bateman, and Mrs. Lewis, are chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat and barley.
Covenhope is a township, about 1 mile from the village.
Leinthall Earles is a township and chapelry, 2 miles from the village.
Lye is a township, 2 miles from the village.
Yatton is a township, almost adjoining the village.
Shirley, Woodhampton, Old Shop, Haven, and Mortimer’s Cross are places in Aymestrey parish.
Parish Clerk, Francis Wall.
Edwards George, esq
Peglar Rev. John J. B.A. [curate]
Rogers Rev. John, M.A., J. P. [vicar], Vicarage
Woodhouse Thomas, esq
Bradford John, Mortimer’s Cross inn
Butler William, Crown inn
Childe Samuel, farmer, Old shop
Davies John Hunt, farmer, Shirley
Freeman John, carpenter
Hopton Timothy, farmer
Norris John, shopkeeper
Powell James, wheelwright
Stephens Francis, farmer, Aymestrey ct
Stokes Richard, boot & shoe maker & beer retailer
Thomas Richard, farmer
Webster Anthony, farmer
Wynde John, blacksmith
Letters are received through Leominster, which is the nearest money order office
Beven Thomas, wheelwright
Price William, farmer
Bounds Edward, farmer, Upper Lye
Crump ltichard, farmer, Lower Lye
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Upper Lye
Oliver James, farmer, Lower Lye
Preece Richard, farmer. Lower Lye
Price Richard, farmer, Lower Lye
Thomas Edward, farmer, Upper Lye
Lewis Mrs. Yatton court
Faulkner William, blacksmith
Griffiths Abraham, farmer
Hopton William, farmer
James John, farmer
Low James, farmer
Mason Thomas, farmer
Payne Thomas, mason
Pheasant John, shoemaker
Thompson John, miller
Endowed School, William Low, master; Mrs. Ellen Low, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.