Aylton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Aylton Chapel
Parish registers begin: 1748
Parishes adjacent to Aylton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Aylton, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; 1 ¾ mile SE of Ashperton r. station, and 3 ½ W of Ledbury. Post-town, Ledbury. Acres, 825. Real property, £1,174. Pop, 89. Houses, 21. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £149. Patron, the Earl of Oxford. The church needs repair
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aylton, a parish in the hund, of Radlow, union of Ledbury, county of Hereford; 4 miles west from Ledbury. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £3 3s. 4d., and in the parliamentary returns at £75; gross income £152. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Oxford. Pop., in 1801, 63; in 1831, 126. Houses 19. Acres 810. A. P. £1,316. Poor rates, in 1837, £39
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aylton, 5 m. W. Ledbury. P. 69
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Aylton, a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 4 1/4 miles (W.) from Ledbury; containing 69 inhabitants, and consisting of 812 acres, undulated, with a full proportion of wood, and the soil of the highest average fertility. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, endowed with one-third of the tithes, and valued in the King's books at £3. 3. 4.; net income, £149; patron, Earl of Oxford; impropriators of the remainder of the tithes, the Portionists of Ledbury church.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Aylton Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Aylton, or Aylton Chapel, is a small parish, in Radlow Hundred and Ledbury Union, bishopric and diocese of Hereford, 6 miles west of Ledbury. The church, which stands on a mound, is small and plain, having a low tower. The living is a rectory, value £152. the population, in 1851, was 93: acreage, 812. Earl Somers is lord of the manor, who, with Miss Miles, Captain Skey and Henry Bishop, Esq., are the land owners. Yew Tree Cottage is a genteel residence, and commands pleasant views.
Letters received through Ledbury, which is also the nearest money order office.
Brydges W. H., Esq., Newbridge cottage
Bishop Henry, yeoman, Yew Tree cottage
Foulger John, Aylton court
Powell Henry, farmer
Tranter John, farmer, Castle
Williams J., farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Aylton Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
Aylton, or Aylton Chapel, is a small parish, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, and bishopric and diocese of Hereford, 6 miles west from Ledbury. The church, which stands on a mound, is small and plain, having a low tower and 1 bell. The living is a rectory, value £132, in the gift of Lady Langdale; the Rev. James Mapleton, B.A. (of Tarrington), Worcester College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 96; the area is 812 acres. Earl Somers is lord of the manor.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Napper.
Birchley Misses, Yew Tree cottage
Tranter Mr. John, Castle
Badham John, farmer & hop grower, Aylton court
Barton John, farmer & hop grower, Whitehouse
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Glebe land
Powell Henry, farmer & hop grower, Prior's court
Magness Joseph Wm. farmer, Lays farm
Williams Jonathan, farmer, Court farm
Letters received through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ledbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Ledbury
- Hundred: Radlow
- Province: Canterbury