Avenbury Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863

English: Ruined Church of St Mary, Avenbury, Herefordshire. Not a place to visit at midnight! This church is Norman, with a 13th century tower. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Avenbury is a parish, 2½ miles south-east from Bromyard (its post town), 11 north from Ledbury, 13 north-east from Hereford railway station, and 153 from London, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district. Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is pleasantly situated on the Bromyard and Ledbury turnpike road; the river Frome runs through it. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Gothic style, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Frome, with small square tower and 3 bells; the interior of the church consists of nave, chancel and a porch. The register dates from 1661. The living is a stipendiary vicarage, worth £80 yearly, with residence and 2 acres of glebe land, in the gilt of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Shepherd, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, is the incumbent. Birchy Field, the residence of Mrs. Kempson, is a finely built structure of freestone, in the Modern English style, commanding an extensive and prospective view of the surrounding country. The population in 1801 was 371; the acreage is 3,048. The soil is clayey; subsoil, red sandstone. The representatives of the late Dean of St. Asaph are lords of the manor; Edmund Higginson, Esq., James Sanders, Esq., and John Freeman, Esq., are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. There are charities of 40s. yearly value. Near Bridenbury is a detached part of the parish, which in 1861 contained 34 persons. 

Munderfield Row, a hamlet, is about 1 mile and three-quarters south-west.

Parish Clerk, William Vernell.


Kempson Mrs. Birchy field

Shepherd Rev. John, M.A. Vicarage


Allies Richard, farmer, Little Frome

Allies Thomas, farmer, Avenbury court

Bevan William, farmer, Stocks

Clark James, farmer, Heath farm

Davenport Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Venn

Corbett Joseph, farmer, Noaks

Gilmour Patrick, farmer, Hackley

Hill James, farmer, Cusop

Holloway Benj. farmer, Upper Hopton

Leake William, farmer, Burgess

Leake Wm. jun. farmer, Upper Venn

Nott James, miller, Frome mill

Parlour John, farmer, Sawby hill

Philpott Stephen, farmer, Brook house

Williams Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Goodshop

Munderfleld Row.

Gurney John, wheelwright

Gurney Thomas, carpenter

Philpott Frederick, farmer

Pitt Peter, cider retailer

Watkins James, blacksmith

Watkins James, blacksmith

Letters are received through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.