Avenbury Cassey Herefordshire Directory 1858

Avenbury is a parish, 2 ½ miles south-east from Bromyard (its post town), 11 north from Ledbury, 13 north-east from Hereford railway station, and 153 from London; it is in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric.  It is pleasantly situated on the Bromyard and Ledbury turnpike road; the river Frome runs through it, and the church, which is an old stone building in the Gothic style, with small square tower and three bells, is pleasantly situated on the banks of it; the interior of the church consists of nave, chancel, and porch.  The living is a stipendiary vicarage, worth £80 yearly, with residence and two acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. James Archibald is the incumbent.  Birchy Field, the residence of Mrs. Kempson, is a structure finely built of freestone, commanding an extensive and prospective view of the surrounding country, in the modern English style.  The population, in 1851, was 354, and the acreage is 3,048. The soil is clayey; subsoil, red sandstone.  The representatives of the late Dean of St. Asaph, are lords of the manor. Edmund Higginson, Esq., James Sanders, Esq., and John Freeman, Esq., are the chief landowners.  The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples.  There are charities of 40s. yearly value.

Near Bridenbury is a detached part of the parish, which, in 1851, contained 21 persons.

Munderfield Row, a hamlet, is about 1 ¾ miles south-west.

Letters are received through Bromyard, which is also the nearest money order office.


Archibald Rev. James, Vicarage

Grape Richard, Esq., Wiggall

Kempson Mrs., Birchy field

Maund Miss, North fields

Nott James, miller, Frome mill


Devenport Henry, Lower Venn

Fidoe Mrs. Mary, Stocks

Gillam William, Sawby hill

Gilmour Patrick, Hackley

Green William, Noaks

Hill Daniel, Cusop

Hill William, Avenbury court

Holloway Benjamin, Upper Hopton

Leake Wm., Burgess

Leake William, junr., Upper Venn

Morris Wm., Rough Mintridge

Nott John, Little Frome

Pearson James, Heath farm

Philpott Stephen, (& cattle dealer), Brook ho

Williams Edward, Goodshop

Munderfield Row

Dent Robert, farmer

Gurney John, Wheelwright

Gurney Thomas, carpenter and shopkeeper

Jones James, blacksmith

Pitt Peter, cider retailer

Watkins James, blacksmith

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.