Parish church: St. Giles
Parish registers begin: 1685
Parishes adjacent to Aston or Pipe Aston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTON, or Pipe-Aston, a parish in the district of Ludlow and county of Hereford; near the river Teme, 3½ miles WSW of Woofferton r. station, and 4 SW of Ludlow. Post Town, Ludlow. Acres, 920. Real property, with Burrington and Downton, £3,750. Pop., 34. Houses, 9. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £84. Patron, A. R. B. Knight, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aston, 4 m. S.W. Ludlow. P. 52
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ASTON, or Pipe-Aston (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Ludlow; containing 52 inhabitants, and comprising 733 acres. The surface is undulated and well-wooded; the soil is of an inferior quality. The parish runs up to the High Vinealls, and to the boundary of Richard's-Castle parish; from the height is a complete panoramic view, including the Brecon, Radnor, Cardigan, and Montgomery hills. The road from Ludlow to Wigmore and Presteign passes through. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 13. 4.; net income, £84; patron, Sir Wm. E. Rouse Boughton, Bart. The church, an ancient structure, was restored and repewed, and an eastern window added, in 1844: the arch over the entrance door has a curious stone engraving, representing the Lamb bearing the Cross. Near the road, opposite a farmhouse, is a tumulus.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Aston Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
ASTON is a parish, distant 4 miles south-west-by-west from Ludlow, Its post town, market town, and railway station. The church of St. Giles is an old building, containing 1 bell. The living is a rectory, annual value £84, in the gift of Andrew Rouse Houghton Knight, Esq., who is lord of the manor and owner of the soil; the Rev. William Williams, M.A., Oxford, Is the rector. The population in 1861 was 34.
Williams Rev. William, M.A. [rector]
Pugh Charles, farmer
Letters through Ludlow, winch Is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Clun
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury