Aston Ingham is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Ross railway station, 2 from Micheldean-road station, 13 from Gloucester, and 130 from London, in Greytree hundred, Newent county court district and union, Ross petty sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and Ross, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 2 miles north of the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. The church is an old stone building, coloured white, very plain style, and in pretty good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, and tower with 4 bells. The living is a rectory, worth £350 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land: the Rev. Henry L. Whatley, B.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford, is the incumbent and patron. There is a National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £10, and a house and garden left by the Rev. C. Stock, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton; also a meadow called Stockings, in the parish of Newent, rented at £7 per annum, for the adorning of the church.
May Hill is an object of curiosity; on the top is a clump of fir trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill; it is a mariner's landmark for the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel. The population in 1861 was 508; the acreage Is 2.378. The soil is red sandy loam; the subsoil is rock and red brick earth. Capt. K. M. Power is lord of the manor; and Capt. Power, Rev. Henry Lawson Whatley, J. Garrold, Esq., and Thomas Howell, Esq., and several others, are chief landowners. The late Richard Garrold, Esq., left £100 in the Three per Cents, the interest to be laid out in bread for the poor, to be distributed on Candlemas day by the rector and churchwardens.
Aston Cruse is distant 1 mile west.
Pariah Clerk, Thomas Aubury.
Edwards Miss Ann, Hill house
Holder Mr. Sampson, Aston court
Perkins Mr. Thomas, The Oaks
Taylor Mr. John
Whatley Rev. Henry Lawson, B.A., J.P.
Abrahall George, timber dealer
Abrahall John, farmer
Ambury Joseph, farmer
Baker James, blacksmith
Baker William, wheelwright
Baldwin Willin, shoemaker
Davis John, carpenter
Davis Thomas, farmer
Green Elisha, farmer, Lower Crocketts
Hale Reuben, tailor, May hill
Hodges Thomas, farmer, Old Oaks farm
Jackson Samuel, farmer, Oatfleld
Lewis William, Crown inn, & carpenter
Little Enoch, White Hart
Little Thomas, farmer & miller
Lodge John, farmer, Knight's hill
Loveridge William, farmer
Miles Thomas, blacksmith
Nelms Joseph, farmer, Upper BarreII
Palmer Phillip, carpenter
Penner Charles, farmer, Luxtree
Perkins George, farmer
Price John, farmer, Gortsley
Randell Geo. boot & shoe maker, May hill
Scuddamore Richard, farmer
Smith Joshua, farmer, Perry's farm
Surman William, miller
Tranter Benjamin, farmer
Walters Phillip, fanner, New house
Whittaker George, farmer, May hill
Yem Charles, farmer, Hill farm
Young Edward, nail maker
Letters are received from Ross at 11 a.m. Ross is the nearest money order office
National School, Mrs. Jackson, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.